SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mara_2008

Update on using dishwasher detergent in washer

mara_2008
14 years ago

An ... um, shall we say, interesting ... situation came up in the last week which required serious cleaning power on laundry. Dear hubby and a son worked on son's car for a couple days, and DH didn't always think to change into old clothes first. ACK!!!

Once I got over the shock of finding some of his very best office clothes in the hamper covered in grease (the shoulder of one shirt was completely saturated!), I followed this course of action:

First, I sprayed the grease stains with Shout. I sprayed until they were saturated, especially the really-big and deep stains.

Second, I soaked the shirts and pants in the washer with warm water and 1/2 cup Cascade w/Dawn dishwashing detergent. Some of the clothes' labels say to wash in cold water only, but I knew the clothes would be ruined anyway if I couldn't get the grease out. I soaked them for two days. (yes, really)

On the third day, I let the soak water out (it was black, no surprise there). I then washed the clothes in Tide TotalCare (warm wash, cold rinse) -- which is what I normally use on our nice office/church clothes. I let them soak overnight again.

The next day, I finished out the wash cycle. Vinegar in fabric softener dispenser.

The verdict: (drum roll please, LOL)

Except for one shirt, EVERY BIT of the grease came out! Even the saturated shoulder was completely clean!

On the one shirt, there was a tiny place where grease was barely visible. I didn't want to dry it in, so I sprayed it with Shout again and put it right back on the hamper to dry. It will wash with the next load.

Oh, yes -- I've been using Cascade when I wash white clothes, too. For the guys' really dirty white socks, undies, and T-shirts (some work outdoors, some have outdoor hobbies), I soaked them in hot water and Cascade overnight -- full washer load (4.6 cu ft), so I used 1 cup. I ran that water out the next day and washed them in Tide w/bleach HE (liquid, can't find powder -- one line lower than if I hadn't soaked them in Cascade), used 1/2 c. LCB, and vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. They came out looking NEW, they were so clean and white.

I am sold on using Cascade as a detergent booster (especially since I can't find 20 Mule Team borax at any stores anymore). It has won nothing but raves from me.

Janet, you had asked about 'dosage' for a FL washer. As you know, my washer is a TL HE Maytag Bravos. My load of white clothes was a HUGE load, completely filled up the washer, so I used a whole cup. For DH's grease-covered shirts and pants which filled only about 1/3 of the washer, I used 1/2 cup. HTH

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio