SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

house guest for nine days

3katz4me
10 years ago

Gad, my brother is coming to visit for nine days over Christmas - arriving tomorrow night. I haven't spent this much time with him since we lived at home as kids. I never have house guests for more than a long weekend. It kind of gets on my nerves. Plus this is the brother I mentioned a while back was going through treatment for addiction - primarily alcohol in recent years.

He got through the rehab this summer and is doing "okay" I think. He lives out of state so hard to tell but he is definitely "better". I'm really skeptical of anyone getting clean and sober based on the people I've seen fail but who knows. He told me a while back he wanted to come for Christmas and I said fine but you can't drink here. He then mentioned it several times - wanting to come for Christmas and I repeated the no drinking requirement. From all the conversations I've had with him he seems to be on board with that.

I'm kind of dreading it but on the other hand looking forward to it if he is truly in his right mind. He is really a good person when not under the influence. Would be nice to spend some "quality time" with him for the first time in about 45 years. Plus he was about dead before he went into treatment so not sure how many more chances I'll have. And we are it for our immediate family - everyone else has died (including one of cirrhosis).

Just not sure what to think or expect. I guess however it turns out it will all be over in less than two weeks......how bad can that be.

Comments (20)