SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cigarlover_gw

Help TigerDunes! Heat-Pump Replacement Needed?

CigarLover
12 years ago

Hello,

I have taken on the task of researching new systems for my grandmother�s home. Her home was built about 35 years ago. Because the home is located in a rural area we do not have gas, so the systems upstairs & downstairs are heat-pumps which are pretty foreign to me. They are the original systems from when the home was built, Rheem heat-pumps. The systems have worked well all these years however they are extremely inefficient at this point. My grandma is 85 & has some pretty severe health problems so she runs the heat non-stop once it starts to get cold here in Northern California. The electricity bill in January last year was over 2K for the month. We have some other electrical consumers on the property (Well system, Pool, Electric water Heaters) but I have singled out the heat-pump with the help of a Kilowatt meter as the BIG culprit. It�s now time to do a complete replacement on the system downstairs, (She only lives downstairs now). I believe the investment will pay for itself over time perhaps in a season so I�m looking for the most efficient heat pump system that money can buy (especially in heat mode). Maximum HSPF needed. I love the American Standard Hvac line, just did a complete new system (Gas) at my mother�s home last month that you helped me with & we couldn�t be happier with it. Thank you so much for all your help (TigerDunes)! I have located a very good contractor to sell us the equipment & perform the install but I want to insure that I am getting a fair deal as well as getting the right system for our a application. I would really appreciate your opinions/expertise, Thank you in advance, this site is really great!

Home Details:

�2 Story Home in Northern California (Pretty mild Climate that we have)

�2,200 Square Feet of living space downstairs with a crawlspace (Downflow System, not sure yet if the duct work needs some attention)

�Ceilings are pretty low 9� at the highest.

�The home gets sun in the summer months most of the day.

�Insulation in the home is decent, Doors are air-tight.

�Windows have all been replaced 5 years ago with more efficient ones.

Here�s what I put together so far from the AHRI site:

3933754 Active Systems HERITAGE 16 AMERICAN STANDARD 4A6H6060E1 4TEE3C10A1 55000 12.00 16.00 51000 9.00 34200

It�s a 5-ton system; I think we need the additional BTU�s for heat to quickly & efficiently warm-up the house for her? Also, does this system need a heat-strip? If so what size they make several variations for these air handlers (I don�t understand the heat-strip thing)? What do you think?

God Bless America!

Comments (8)