SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bullett444

HVAC Assistance

bullett444
15 years ago

I recently purchased a home in New Orleans which was being renovated from Hurricane Katrina damage. The previous owner had cut corners during the renovation and now I have some issues.

1. Original duct work was not replaced and there is mold growing in the insulation.

2. The new 5-ton AC unit is single phase while the older 5-ton package unit is 3 phase.

It was recommended that I replace all the duct work and was given two options. Sheet metal ducting or something called duct board.

It was also recommended that I purchase two new 5-ton package units which are 3 phase. They had calculated that the home would require 11.5 tons but since no one makes a 6 ton unit that two 5 ton units would do. They would have one unit for upstairs and one unit for downstairs. Both units would be located on the roof.

The home is approximately 5200sf with 2800sf upstairs and 2400sf downstairs. The home has a flat roof so there is no attic space. I will be insulating the second floor with a radiant barrier and installing new Low-E windows.

I was given a rough estimate of $1800/ton using duct board and $2400/ton using sheet metal. This would include the package units and all duct work, labor and installation.

My questions are:

What are the advantages of sheet metal ducting over duct board?

What recommendations are there for 5-ton package units?

I was looking at Trane models XL16C and XL14C.

Thanks for your help.

Stephen.

Comments (4)