SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wmas1960

Hvac quotes, Help Please

wmas1960
13 years ago

I just purchased a home. It was a short Sale and has a few issues that we are trying to work on. Mostly it is in great shape except appliances and mechanicals that are original and are over 22 yrs old. Mainly, on top of our list is HVAC, due to the current tax rebates and the fact that the current furnace is probably running less than 50 % efficient.

The house is 22yrs old, 2 stories, attic according to home inspection is double insulated. 1780 sqft with a crawl. We are located north of

Chicago.

I have 4 quotes and none of them seem to concur on the issue of AC Tons. Of the 4, only 2 did any inspection and measurements. One of the

others, I have thrown out as it was for Amana and the others Trane.

Asside from that, I thought the guy was a weasel from the get go.

So, on to the more serious contenders. All quoted the same furnace and

were a few hundred apart. However, the big difference comes with the AC. In the end we have about a $2000 difference. Bid one quoted a 15

seer 2 ton. Bid 2 also 15 seer said he thought it was 2.5 ton and bid 3 said 3 tons. I was told by the first guy that he thought 2.5 would be ok

but felt for budget and the effect of removing more humidity that he would

be inclined to undersized by .5 ton.

Does any of this make sense out there and what is the significance if I

were to go wit 2.5 and it ended up a half or a full ton small. I will note that the third guy was one who didn't even pull out a tape measure or look around the house. To his credit though he is the most local and seemed

more familiar with the neighborhood which consists of many similar houses with identical floor plans, ages and construction features.

Also, each company proposed different ways to install the flue and intakes. One said down, through the crawl and out the foundation wall. He said that he would put in a trap to drain condensate to the sump pump. The second said through the garage and out the side wall of the

house. The last said that he could go into the garage, through it's attic and out the roof. For 95 % units that we are talking about, do any of those proposals seem inappropriate.

Funny thing is that after 4 proposals, I am more confused than I was

before. Any thoughts and assistance woud be appreciated as I figure I

must decide by this week to schedule install by the 31st.

Thanks for all thoughts and help.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!