SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Advice to new moms in the 1940s

alisande
13 years ago

While researching birth practices of the 1940s for my memoir chapter on my birth, I came across this list of Do's And Don'ts that was given out to mothers of babies born in that decade:

Do: Keep your baby on an exact time schedule as far as possible.

Do: Bathe your baby every day. In hot weather, he should also be sponged two or three times a day.

Do: Be sure the baby gets at least sixteen hours sleep a day the first year and from twenty to twenty-two hours sleep the first month.

Do: Give the baby complete quiet at feeding and sleeping hours.

Don't: give the baby tea, coffee, beer or wine of any kind, fried foods, pickles, pie, lollypops, candy of any kind, nuts, pancakes, berries, ice cream cones, rich cakes, puddings, or meat gravies.

Don't rock or jounce your baby unnecessarily.

Don't let anyone kiss your baby if you can avoid it but if you cannot, let the kissing be done on the back of the baby's neck.

Though he cries, don't pick up your baby if he is well. A good lusty cry is excellent exercise.

That last one makes me cringe. When I read this list, which was considered to be the best medical advice of the time, I can't help wondering if mothers of the future will look back at current practices and shake their heads (or laugh). I personally think the best thing we can do is remember that humans are members of the animal kingdom, and follow the lead of other animals. Jane Goodall raised her son by emulating chimpanzees, and it worked very well for her.

By the way, childbirth in the 1940s was pretty awful. But for those who didn't read my post on the memoir assignment, I was very excited to find the doctor who delivered me. Not so much because he delivered me, but because I was happy my mom had such a kind and caring doctor. He was truly a remarkable man. I had never heard of him in all these years. All I remembered was his name.

Comments (17)