SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwbink1500

Electric Heat Vs Gas Heat

jwbink1500
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

My wife and I bought our house last Sept. which was built in 1964. We live in Missouri. It is 1250 sq ft not including basement. Basement is another 750 or so. It's a split level with kitchen & living room on slab and bedrooms above the partly finished basement.

Currently, the heat is radiant ceiling heat. Every room has a thermostat so you can isolate rooms and not heat if you don't want. Bathrooms have wall heat units. The AC unit is a 5 ton (I think, at least 4 I know.) Which I'm told is way overkill.

We are getting bids on a new HVAC system and are trying to decide on gas vs electric. I have bids for both with heat pumps as options. For example one bid had $1900 for 2 ton 15Kw electric furnace and $2500 for 60,000btu 95% gas. 13 seer heat pump added $1500 to the furnace price and 15 seer added $2100 but carried a $500 rebate. AC units are $1250 for 13 seer and $2200 for 15 seer.

Gas prices are .90/ccf and electric rates are 10.6 cents/kwh. We have no gas line to our house. A new line would cost $850 to run from center street to outside our house.

We had R-13 in our attic. I added more but probably only boosted to R-25. Adding more is out until a new roof is needed as the roof pitch is about 3/12. Our highest bill during the winter was $400. That was using 2 bedrooms at night and turning down kit and living room to 50. By day, it was 1 bedroom (other was turned down to 60) and kitchen and living room. We would occasionally (less than 10% of the time) run the basement, bathroom wall heaters and other rooms.

Ductwork is in the attic for both parts of house and is 3/4" thick insulated fiber duct. I tried to blow a lot of insulation over it but probably didn't do much.

My questions are:

-I know loads of heat were lost through the ceiling with radiant heat, but would a new furnace with heat pump cost more monthly to do the entire house in winter?

-Which seems to be more cost-effective scenario?

Electric or Gas?

-Do heat pumps really work that well? And even with my poorly insulated house, are heat pumps still better to have than a traditional furnace and AC?

-What tonnage should I have or does 2 sound right? Bids say anywhere from 2 up to 3.5 ton. One guy said a ton to 600 sq ft living excluding basement. Sound right?

Money is an object and I've been leaning toward the Elec with 15 seer heat pump as it will run around $3500 after rebate. Gas is the way I would like to go but the gas line price is an additional cost taking us away from a $4000 ballpark. But maybe it is justified to have it installed.

Hope I didn't bog anyone down with details. I wanted to paint the clearest picture of our scenario. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Joel

Comments (4)