SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raminva

Trane 16xli + Oil Boiler Control

RaminVA
11 years ago

Hi all,

I live in a 80-year old 2-story single family home about 1900 sq ft in central VA. The entire house is heated by an oil-fired boiler + baseboards. We currently have 2 15-yr old a/c units -- one in each floor to cool in the Summers.

I am replacing the two a/c's with heat pumps. Trane 16xli for the 1st floor and Trane 15xli for the 2nd floor. The idea is to use them in Fall and Spring when it is milder outside (is that a good idea?). The plan is to activate the boiler and baseboards on colder days.

I would appreciate any advice on how I can integrate the a/c units (or at least one on the 1st floor) with the oil fired boiler into one thermostat. The Trane dealer tells me that any thermostat that is not Trane will void the warranty. His recommended Thermostat the TCONT803 according to him can be wired with the 1st floor a/c unit so I can switch to boiler manually but the fan on the air handler will have to run at 50%. Does anybody have a work around? OR can you a recommend a thermostat that can do this seamlessly?

Thank you and appreciate the responses.

Comments (7)