SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikec_dsm

Looking to upgrade Heating/AC

mikec_dsm
15 years ago

We built a home in 2004 that is 3,000 sq ft with some rooms having 18ft ceilings. We are using a Trane AC model XL14i with variable speed air handler. For heating I have a Buderus G215 oil boiler with an indirect hot water. It has a hydronic coil and single zone. There are high and low returns in every room. The house is insulated to the max and we also have a Honeywell air exchanger. I live in NE PA in the mountains. I use about 1,400 + gallons of oil per year for heat and hot water.

With the price of oil going through the roof and the outlook of cheap oil in the past I need to re-think a means of heating this house. Here are some ideas IÂm looking at:

One cheap solution is to get a pellet stove in the basement and let the warm air rise and circulates through the returns to help cut down on oil. Cost $3,400 stove $240 a ton for pellets.

Replace my AC unit with a Trane heat pump model XL16i 2 stage and use oil as a backup. It gets cold up here so from December through mid March the temps could be at or well below 30 degrees. Cost about $5,800. Plus I could probably sell my old unit for $1,000 - $1,500.

Bite a big bullet and go for a closed loop Geo from Econar. Cost about 18K. I canÂt do a well as the water quality is poor due to high iron content.

If money was no object the Geo is the way to go but I donÂt have 18K to invest in this right now although the payback would be less than 5 years if oil stays near this rate. The heat pump is in my price range however in maybe a year or two I hope to be in a better position to be able to do a Geo. I hate to spend 6K and then turn around and spend 18K.

So, my question to the experts here is how sound is my thinking? I know everyone is in the same boat. Electric rates right now are at $.10 a kilowatt hour making the heat pump and Geo attractive. IÂm trying to get the best ROI. A $6,500 heating bill this year makes me shiver. I have read many posts here so IÂm looking for answers that fit my needs.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz