SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Help Me Plan Rough-in for New Miele Washer Dryer

enduring
10 years ago

I am remodeling my bathroom and a new Miele stacked W/D will go into the corner of an intersection of 2 load bearing walls. This is on the main floor over an unfinished basement with access to the joist. I want to provide a stable environment for the set.

I am planning to build a 2 layer plywood platform with "mass loaded vinyl" sandwiched in between. This was suggested by a member on the bathroom forum. He suggested to run a drain through this platform with a tray on top of the plywood platform to protect the living area from potential flooding. I can do this easy enough. I imagine this would raise the set about 2", at the most, from the floor level.

I found a appliance flood tray that is folded into place and is the perfect size of 24x24"

http://www.floodsaver.com/snfSpecs.html

One would drill a hole in the pan and hook the emergency flood drain through this hole. I would have it run to a location and terminate several inches above a basement floor drain. This way I won't need a P trap that could potentially dry out, and allow sewer gases to enter the house.

I would like a turn off valve to manage my water supply to the washer. I do not want a flood if the water hoses should break. I have purchased, for this future install, a set of "Floodchek" hoses. And I would like to have a box with an on/off valve to the hot/cold water. I have seen Symmons valves and that looks great. It has an area for the waste water to drain as well.

I plan to have access to the shut off valve behind some shelving that will be to the right of the stacked W/D. I plan to have the shelving area easily dismantled to access the utilities to the W/D. I also plan to run my dryer vent out this area to the right, so I can access it for cleaning. I want all my supply lines, electrical, and venting to the right of the stack and located in the back of my planned shelving area.

Questions include:
1) should I have my shut off valve outfitted with one of those systems that automatically turn off the valves if there is a sensed leak?

2) do people usually just manually turn off and on the valve to the water hoses as needed when they do laundry? I have never done this in all my years, but I am seeing some wisdom in this precaution. Especially when the W/D is in the living area of the house, as this W/D will now be located.

3) has anyone used these special strong hoses called "Floodchek" for their hot/cold intakes?

4) do you recommend a specific dryer venting system. I was thinking of getting a metal wall box that the 4" duct can fit through. I have smooth 4" ducting in the joist space already to go for the dryer. The wall this set will be backed into will be a 6" stud wall. My plan will be dropping the dryer ducting down to the joist space below the bathroom and out to the out side. This is in an unfinished basement and easily accessible. I believe the total run will be 8.5' horizontal + 4' vertical+ 45 degree turns x 2.

With all this information, is there something I am missing? Or is there recommendations for something different? Should I post this in another forum?

Thanks very much if you've gotten this far in this post ;) and I hope to get your feedback :)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville