SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mihi_gw

I am dropping my recommendation for Staber.

17 years ago

I have owned my Staber washer for over 2 years now. It is with great sadness that I drop my recommendation to purchase them. While I do still like this machine, it has been very reliable and it washes very well, and it is very efficient, my wife does not like it due to some problems we have had with it.

Problems:

1) We have had a mold issue. I think I have the mold issue under control now, but it has ruined several pieces of clothing that my girls have thrown away. I've cleaned the rubber parts in the washer and run "Smelly Washer" through the washer, and this has very much helped. I've done a regular maintenance-wash cycle over the last month that I think has made a difference. But, the women in my house say no more and it must go.

2) There are occasionally remnants of detergent, or softeners when we were using them (we don't use any softeners in this washer anymore due to its propensity to increase mold growth). The net effect here is this will get on a piece of clothing and leave a bleached-out stain on the clothing. Its happened quite a bit.

I think both of the above issues could be resolved by proper management of this machine. By that I mean very regular maintenance-wash cycles being performed and not ever washing anything after a white load where you used bleach (which we don't use anymore either in this washer)

unless its another while load or you've done a maintenance-wash prior to putting in any colors.

My family is not willing to do this, they want to be able to dump any load in at any time, without regard to what was washed before it. Just like you'd be able to do with an old top-loader.

So this weekend we go and look at a standard washer. A Whirlpool Roper in going to be looked at, and a Fisher Paykel GWL15 (which I'm hoping my wife will go for). The only think I have against the Roper is its vibration on spin and water usage, and lack of spin speed, which the Fisher Paykel should resolve.

I'll let you know what we get.

Comments (7)