SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Lou, your bagel recipe

Do you still have your bagel recipe handy? I have not been thrilled with the recipe I am using and would like to try yours.

Although I'm off to the dentist this morning so I might make them later in the week.

I like a very chewy bagel.

Comments (12)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

For some reason, GW is not accepting Lou's name or password and he has emailed me his recipe and asked if anyone might know why he can't log in.
    Here are his comments and recipe and thank you so much, Lou, for sending it to me. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Lou:
    You can cut it in half , to try it out

If you made them before.
    I guess you know how to shape the Bagels. There are 2 ways.
    One is the Ball that you stick your thumb thru and shape.
    The other is the Rope method. A lot of bakers prefer this way..

Roll it out into a log, 10 inches long.X 3/4 round , like a fat Cigar.
    Hold one end between the thumb and forefinger,
    wrap it around the back of you hand and into your palm.Stick the 2 ends
    together, rolling it on the worktop. I watched a baker do this. It was
    really fast
    If you want to know more .
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Everyone has their own way to do this, which is better.
    But! I like to cook and bake using easier ways,
    long as the end results are the same.

I've used this recipe since I got out of the Army, a very long time ago
    and converted it from Army Baking (Large amounts )to Home Baking.
    It wasn't easy going from 4 Quarts to 4 cups , etc.
    But I worked it out.

I got the results that I wanted and I'm passing it on to
    everyone

. Here is the recipe:

Luigi's - - - Braided, Plaited Bread or Dough for Cinnamon Buns , Bagels,
    Etc.

2 cups of milk, (warm ) - - Sometimes I sub Powdered Milk
    1 1/3 cup of Sugar
    3 large eggs- beaten (save egg w. a little milk for basting )
    1 tablesp.+ of Vanilla - -
    ½ cup + of oil - -
    ½ teasp. Salt
    2 packs of Fleischmans Active dry yeast
    AP Flour - 3 cups to start ( probably about 6 total )
    enough to knead into a soft ball that doesn't stick to your hands.
    I now substitute a cup of WW Flour. Makes it more tender.

Stir the yeast in a 1/3 cup of warm water w. ½ spoon of sugar, to test it
    for raising.

In a large mixing bowl, or (KA mixer) place the warm milk ( not hot )
    add the sugar ,vanilla , salt & eggs
    Beat until the sugar is dissolved and add the Yeast and mix well.
    Add 1 cup of WW flour and 3 cups of AP flour and mix with mixer a few
    minutes.
    Add flour until you make a " soft " Ball of dough that doesn't stick to your
    hands.
    Don't make it too stiff , try to keep it a "soft dough."
    On the Work Top, Sprinkle some flour under the ball and Knead it until
    smooth.
    Place it in a large bowl, Rub some oil on top.

Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm spot ( until double.) I usually turn my oven on for a few minutes to warm and shut it.
    Place a pan of hot water on the bottom shelf.

Then place the dough bowl in the oven to rise.

When ( doubled ) deflate and put it out of the bowl onto a floured worktop.

• User
    14 years ago

Bumblebeez, email Lou and tell him to delete his cookies and history. I've had this problem a couple of times and that was all it took.

Also, Lou's bagel recipe uses the same dough as his cinnamon buns. And I'm sure that it will make a very tasty, but sweet bagel.

If you want a chewy bagel, you need a different type of dough and you also need to boil the bagel prior to baking.

If you are interested in trying a more traditional bagel recipe and technique you can find both here.

Ann

• Related Discussions

Oops; messed up Linda Lou's sweet pickle chunks recipe!

Q

Comments (4)
    I think I'd just keep going to see what happens. What have you got to lose except a bit of energy to boil the water? Pitch 'em now or pitch 'em later. Maybe they'll be OK. Hopefully LindaLou will pop in! Deanna
    ...See More

Hawk 307 (Lou) thanks for your salmon patties (cakes) recipe

Q

Comments (11)
    Here ya go, I made 6 cakes and between me, DH and 3 1/2 yr. old grandson, we ate them all. Lou's Baked Salmon Cakes 1/3 cup each finely chopped onion, celery, red bell pepper; microwave for 2 minutes; cool . ÂPut 1 - 14 ¾ oz. can of pink salmon in a bowl and break up larger pieces. (I removed the skin & center bone) ÂSprinkle with black pepper; ½ tsp. each of garlic & onion powder and ¼ level tsp. Old Bay Seasoning (I used salt-free Cajun seasoning), and 2 level tsp. parsley flakes. (I also added about 1 tbsp. lemon juice) ÂAdd 3 heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise. ÂFold and blend this together and add ½ cup each of flavored and plain bread crumbs.(I used all unflavored crumbs because that was all I had) ÂBeat 1 egg and add 1 teaspoon of baking powder; beat well. ÂAdd this to the salmon mix and blend with a fork until just mixed through. ÂIf the mix is too wet, add a little more bread crumbs. ÂMake 6 balls and flatten slightly to 4 inches round and ¾ inches thick. ÂBake on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil, sprayed with Pam. (I used Reynold's Release) ÂBake 20 to 25 minutes at 320 Degrees. ÂBrush with melted butter and broil on low for 5 minutes or until a golden tan. ÂServe hot or freeze separated with plastic wrap, in a Zip Lock bags or a container.
    ...See More

LOU...How about your recipe for Sunday Gravy please

Q

Comments (13)
    Lou, I checked this thread to try your gravy, a friend says sauce, another says gravy, I always thought gravy, too! I'll be trying this, it looks so good! Copied and pasted. but I'm so sad to hear about your wife! You are both in my thoughts and prayers. (((LOU)))
    ...See More

Lou,would you please post your recipe for pizzelles?

Q

Comments (1)
    Here is a link. Here is a link that might be useful: Lou's Pizzelles.
    ...See More
  • lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Not sure I could delete my cookies... this is the cooking forum afterall..LOL!!

I've had to sign in again every month or more but that's it for me....is Spike back and sending peeps to the "cups"?? LOL! Not a fan of spining in tea cups....lololol!

Hope all is cool with Lou...

David

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ann. Lou is reading this as that's how he saw the post initially. I do boil my bagels and use a NY style recipe but they still are not quite as chewy as I want. I really like Panera Bread bagels and have not found a supermarket bagel I like much so I'll try a variety of recipes.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Lou did email me last week that he was having computer problems.

• jojoco
    14 years ago

I made AnnT's bagels one time and found they were very good. I think our Wegman's makes a decent bagel (and I am from the NYC area), so I usually just buy theirs. I agree, boiling is a necessity for a true NYC style bagel. (But I would like to try Lou's recipe for cinnamon buns)

AnnT's recipe:

Jo

• shaun
    14 years ago

HI LOU!!

• User
    14 years ago

Jo, your bagels are perfect. I'd love one toasted for breakfast. I'd better not show Moe your picture or he will be wanting me to bake bagels today. He had the last one out of our the freezer for breakfast a few days ago.

Bumblebeez, good luck on finding a supermarket bagel that comes close to a NY or Montreal style bagel. I've yet to find a great grocery store bagel.

Ann

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

Lou - if you need someone to spank any of the ladies while you're out of commission just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Bumblebeez:
    Sorry: Been out on sick leave for awhile ( Diviticulites )

I gave you the Recipe alone, because you knew how to Boil
    and Bake them.

When I was younger we went to Murray's Deli,; in Philly, to get Locs and Bagels w Cream Cheese and Onions.
    I believe they are in NYC also.

I also had them at a friends ( Ike ) on Sunday morning.

They were always 5 inches round W. a hole in the center.

Sometimes it is what you grew up with ?

Guess what I'm trying to say is, everyone likes variety.

You could try mine and may not like them but you may love them.
    It is not a Sweet Dough . It has a subtle sweetness.

Traditional ??? All the recipes are basically the same.

I THOUGHT THIS WAS ABOUT MY RECIPE ???

Talk to you later, I'm back to bed.
    Lou

PS; Here is a Recipe I had saved , from a NY Bagelmaker.

Ingredients

1 cup lukewarm potato water (This is essentially the water left over from boiling potatoes. Covered, this will refrigerate for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 4 months. You can also dissolve 1½ tablespoons of potato flour in 1 cup of lukewarm water, but I havent tried this.)
    1 envelope of yeast
    1 tablespoon beaten egg
    3 tablespoons canola oil
    1 tablespoon malt syrup
    ~3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tbsp granulated sugar
    1½ teaspoon Kosher salt
    Poaching Liquid
    16 cups water
    1/3 cup honey
    Glaze
    1 egg yolk
    1 tablespoon water
    poppy or sesame seeds
    Instructions

In a large bowl, dissolve 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar into the lukewarm potato water.
    Sprinkle the yeast on top and let it stand for 10 minutes or until it gets frothy.
    Stir the tablespoon of beaten egg, canola oil and malt syrup into the yeast/water mixture.
    Stir together 1 cup of the flour, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and the kosher salt.
    Slowly beat these dry ingredients into the yeast mixture using an electric mixer until smooth. This should take about 2 minutes.
    Use a wooden spoon to gradually mix the remaining flour in to the mixture resulting in a soft sticky dough.
    On a lightly floured surface knead until the dough is smooth and stretchy. Make sure to get all the dry isolated flour spots worked out of the dough. This should take 5-10 minutes.
    Place the dough in a greased bowl, rotating the dough around the bowl so its outside is covered in the grease. Cover with plastic wrap (or wax paper with grease on it and a small towel).
    Allow the dough to rise for 1 to 1½ hours until the dough has doubled and you can poke your finger into it and leave a mark.
    Preheat your oven to 400 F.
    After rising, punch the dough down and knead it several times.
    Divide the dough into 10 pieces (the recipe originally called for 12 pieces, but my bagels were getting even too small for me. I may tweak the recipe to result in an even dozen). Keep the unformed dough and formed bagels covered when youre not directly shaping them.
    There are two methods for shaping a bagel. One is to make a ball (dont compress it too much) and poke your thumb through the center. You work your thumb (on the inside of the bagel) and your index finger (on the outside) all the way around the bagel until its formed. The other method which I prefer is to roll the dough into a long pipe and then wrap it horizontally around your hand using your fist as well as your other hand to seal it into a ring. The pipe of dough just barely wraps around my hand and I have to stretch it a bit. I like this method because the shapes end up more bagel-like, whereas for me, the first method results in more roll-like creations with small depressions in the middle.
    Place your bagels apart on a floured and covered baking sheet. Let them rise for 15 minutes.
    In the meantime, in a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the honey and stir. This is the poaching liquid.
    Gently slide your bagels into the water a few at a time into the water over a medium heat for 1 minute on each side. This is to proof them, they should be noticeably bigger than when they went into the water.
    Carefully remove the bagels onto parchment paper or a foil-lined greased baking sheet using a slotted spoon.
    Stir together the egg yolk and water and quickly brush over the bagels as they come out of the poaching liquid.
    Sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds.
    Bake in the 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the bottoms sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm sorry Lou that you did not want me to post the recipe. I assumed you would have posted it here if you could have logged on. I do know how to boil and bake bagels and I will be trying your recipe. Sweet - well, I like most things sweet and I love the Cinnamon crunch bagels at Panera which are like bagels with coffee cake crunch on the outside.
    I'm also going to try Ann T's recipe but it's not a contest!
    I love trying new and different techniques and recipes each time I cook.
    Glad you're logged in now!

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Bumblebeez:
    I worded that wrong. Didn't care that you posted it.
    What I should have said ,
    "I gave you just the Recipe and not any instructions on ,
    how to do "
    Because you have already made them before.
    Lou

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!