SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

A Christmas GTKY

Oakley
13 years ago

The first two questions when I do these topics will always be the same.

1. What are you wearing right now?

2. What have you eaten today or plan on eating for dinner?

3. What was the best monetary gift you've received? Price isn't important.

4. What was the oddest gift you've received?

5. What is your favorite ornament on the tree?

6. Do you have a special Christmas tradition?

7. What are your plans for Christmas?

8. Who is the hardest person to buy for?

9. Do you prefer "old-fashioned" Christmas cards or a picture card?

10. Have you ever re-gifted? If so, what was it and who was it to?

Comments (25)

• tinam61
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

1. What are you wearing right now? Yoga pants, a tank and a fleece zipup. Did have on athletic type clogs, but took them off.

Quiche Lorraine with breakfast potatoes and fresh fruit. Fresh squeezed oj too! (Enjoyed breakfast out with hubby)

3. What was the best monetary gift you've received? Price isn't important. I'm confused by this question. Monetary meaning money? I don't really like getting money for a gift although that's all my MIL gives. LOL

4. What was the oddest gift you've received? I can't think of anything really odd. Maybe my piggy massager - kind of a gag gift.

5. What is your favorite ornament on the tree? The engraved crystal bell from our first Christmas married.

6. Do you have a special Christmas tradition? We have many traditions, always being with family, read the Christmas story, hubby and I do gifts alone on Christmas morning, Christmas Eve service, down to certain cookies, etc. prepared. Angel gifts are a tradition also. Several areas that are a must-do for Christmas lights. . . can you tell I'm traditional? LOL

7. What are your plans for Christmas? My side of family will gather at my sister's. We swap out, I did Christmas. We'll visit my MIL later in the day. I have never had a Christmas that we did not spend time with each family. Hubby's father is gone now and this is our first holiday without mom. So, a bit bittersweet.

8. Who is the hardest person to buy for? MIL

9. Do you prefer "old-fashioned" Christmas cards or a picture card? Either is fine with me.

10. Have you ever re-gifted? If so, what was it and who was it to? No.

tina

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Purple sweatshirt, black tee under it, pink jammy bottoms with little green flowers, white socks, blue house shoes. All that's missing is my curlers. lol

I had some milk and a sweet roll. Me bad, but I was too tired to fix anything else. Wheat spaghetti for dinner.

A necklace with a locket holding pictures of my boys inside when they were kids.

One of those navy blue speckled graniteware turkey pans. Although it's come in handy!

A turkey wishbone my dh painted when we were poor college students and had no money for real ornaments.

When the kids were home, my youngest son and I would make Monkey Bread on Christmas Eve night, and it would be ready by morning. We're starting a new tradition this year with mine and my DIL's family. We're going to wear pajamas all day long! Fun!

Driving 20 minutes to my oldest son's home, spending it with his family and my DIL's family. They are such good people and fun to be around! You'll never see us on Dr. Phil. lol

My boys. They still want "toys" for Christmas and coming up with ideas is hard because they're around 30 yr. old!

Unless it's long lost friends or family, I want the real deal. Seems the young one's of today have to send a family portrait every year that they print off from the Internet. While nice, I'd prefer to hang cards. :(

Maybe a long time ago, I can't remember. But I did receive a free scarf with a gift this year and I gave it to my DIL who is going to give it to her sister. Is that re-gifting? lol

• Related Discussions

gtky

Q

Comments (18)
    1. What are you wearing at this moment? Black knit pants, black Polarfleece socks, long-sleeved purple t-shirt and black cardigan. Chilly and rainy here today. 2. What have you eaten today, or plan on eating? Sort of forgot to eat today. *sheepish grin* Supper will be beef tips in gravy, mashed potatoes and either peas or green beans depending on what DH is in the mood for. 3. What time did you get up this morning? 8:30 - had to accept delivery of some materials for the porch project. Was too early since I didn't get to sleep until after 2. 4. What are your plans for today, or tomorrow if you're reading this late in the day. Thinking about a nap, then supper and reading and watching TV with DH. 5. What is your favorite fruit pie or cobbler? Wild Maine blueberry, but I prefer a crisp to pie or cobbler. 6. Now think back..what was your favorite Christmas present you received in 2008? We don't do Christmas, but my favorite Yule present was a new set of Tarot cards. 7. Think back again, what was the funniest or "WTH?" Christmas present you received in 2008? A set of plastic LED nightlights in primary colors and shapes like pyramid and cube. Totally not to my taste, but I know my friend meant well. 8. Do you watch Soap Operas, and if so, which one's? Now be honest here. :) Nope. Used to watch Guiding Light and even though I haven't watched it in 25 years I was still sad to hear it had been cancelled. 9. David Letterman or Jay Leno? Jon Stewart. Crime shows or a GOOD 30 minute comedy show? Both. Well, for comedy I mean standup comedy, not sitcoms. I hate sitcoms. I especially like "NCIS" and "Bones" for crime shows (used to watch the original "CSI" but lost interest when Grissom left). I agree with Cooperbailey that "NCIS" can be hilarious! Love Gibbs' headslaps. :-) The "Law & Order" type of crime shows and the true crime ones are way too depressing though. Comedy Central needs to get more new standup shows, or dig some of the oldies out of their vault, because they keep showing fairly recent old ones I've seen 17 times already. If I see any of the "Blue Collar" ones again I shall scream. Although I did quite happily watch the musical comic Bo Burnham for the third time last night because that kid is so bright and beyond funny - every time I see his show I catch something new because his lyrics are so fast. (Caution, he's a bit rude. Okay, more than a bit. LOL)
    ...See More

GTKY-What is on your computer desk?

Q

Comments (25)
    I actually took a look at my work desk. Monitor, keyboard & CPU Pix of DH & me Ceramic monkey I gave my Dad over 25 years ago Altoids box full of paper clips digi cam dozens of sticky note pads in assorted sizes sharpies, highlighters 2 hole punch stapler phone cell phone mouse pad more papers than any one person should have files, files, files phone log maps drawings printed emails staple remover wet wipes 2 bottles of hand sanitizer dachshund made of metal & a rock jar full of agates picture of Honolulu box of kleenex piles of napkins scanner-cat thing to scan files to me 3 binders of assorted sizes coffee cup several bottles of water in various depths bag of almonds water glass empty flower vase This is just on top of one desk. I have a table, a lateral file and a bookcase in my cube. I won't go into detail about what is on them...as well as my floor. Sigh.
    ...See More

How did you learn to cook? GTKY topic

Q

Comments (29)
    I grew up on hot dogs with cheese and crescent rolls, fish sticks and french fries. No Hamburger Helper - my mom would brown the meat, pour in a can of gravy, and mix it with egg noodles. Spaghetti was browned meat, add a jar of sauce, when the noodles were mushy drain them then mix in with the sauce in large pot - even mushier the next day reheated! We used to joke that Mom knew something was done when it boiled over. I took my mom's Good Housekeeping cookbook to college (summer after freshman year when I moved into apt). I learned to make killer mashed potatoes (sour cream and egg) from a roommate - we ate a lot of meatloaf - and also started *topping* the spaghetti with sauce instead of mixing it in the pot. I then progressed to meatballs ;-) Never having learned the terminology, I did mess up a few times - like when the gazpacho recipe called for a clove of garlic and I put in a whole head. But live and learn - I acquired more cookbooks, watched TV (The Frugal Gourmet was a favorite), and bought exotic ingredients like olive oil and spices (other than black pepper and garlic salt/onion salt which are still the only items in my mom's pantry). I'm still not great at cooking fish other than salmon or shellfish, and I can't seem to get everything done at the same time (thank goodness for rice cookers and crock pots) unless I use frozen veggies and nuke them. DD is so picky that I haven't even tried cooking any "ethnic" food in 4-5 years, though I will still make things like seafood for the rest of us and just give her a sandwich or hot dog. But we're pretty much grilled meat and rice/pasta now (she won't eat potatoes - though I make sweet potatoes for the rest of us, throw white potatoes in slow cooker for "coq sans vin"). Neither of my kids will eat casseroles, though I used to make a mean moussaka. My grandma was a baker - but she didn't tend to write things down, when she did recipes were either incomplete or multiple versions. I did write down a couple (and have modified them to be healthier) when I was watching her. At least I learned from her to keep your pastry dough cold and handle it as little as possible to keep it tender! I've caught Alton Jones a few times when we had cable, enjoyed his approach. I also read Bakewise cover to cover in one night and would like to find Cookwise.
    ...See More

New GTKY Kickstart

Q

Comments (52)
    1. GW member? Since 2007. I found this site while googling reviews of Dacor ovens. I had to switch my login name a few years back when I discovered that my neighbor lurked here and repeated my comments to other neighbors. I never said anything that I regretted but I found her actions a little creepy. 2. Coffee. With Skim Plus Fat Free half n half. 3. What color is your bedroom? Right now it's primed and awaiting our decision on color. 4. Coziest or most relaxing room? My family room with a gas Jotul stove. Good for cuddling, watching TV or reading. 5. Do you garden as well as decorate? I garden and pay someone to help me decorate. 6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space? It's more like my indoor space is influenced by my outdoors. 7. Fresh or artificial? I grow orchids and there are more than 30 spread throughout the house. When they're blooming I bring them to a more prominent location. Even now after one of the coldest months we've had I have six blooming. 8. Where did/do you splurge in your home? And for yourself? We splurge by purchasing what we want. We research first and then buy - it might be the 2 Sub Zeros in the kitchen or a vintage rug in the foyer. But it could equally be something we found at the local Habitat for Humanity store or at an out of the way 'antique' furniture store that we stumbled upon while on a drive. We look for quality first and then value. For myself? I usually let DH handle those splurges but I did just buy a vintage Hermes scarf - it was a limited release and had a special meaning for me. 9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick? Only chapstick if need. Favorite comfort food? Must I limit it to one? Oh well. Mac and Cheese. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? We're having homemade minestrone soup tonight and salad. We had to cancel dinner reservations due to the treacherous ice.
    ...See More
  • Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Let me clarify. Monetary means an object bought with money. Most "best gifts" are family stories, but I'm wanting to know a present bought with money as the best gift.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm wrong! I shouldn't have used the word monetary.

Okay, What was the best gift bought for you from a STORE? lol

• golddust
    13 years ago

Oakley, I can compete with you today. I am wearing a jersey knit dress I use as a nightgown, long silk underwear on my legs, my boiled wool slippers and a Martha Stewart style sweater. Nothing matches. DD and GS teased me about my attire this morning.

I made a spontaneous breakfast for DD and GS, who dropped by unannounced. We had sausage, eggs and toast. GS had three truffles (recipe obtained here!) for desert.

A very high quality, one carat diamond, set in my wedding ring. I lost my old cheap diamond (cost $90. wholesale) and hadn't worn my wedding ring for 6 months. This diamond is set in platinum so I won't lose it. I couldn't believe it.

A paperback book titled "The Internet for Women." It should have been titled "The Internet for Women with an IQ below 60."

The ones my kids made as children. I cherish them. Aimee is 40 so some are pretty old.

We always drive around looking at lights and host dinner. We have relinquished several traditions as our kids grew up.

Dinner home.

DH.

I don't care. It's nice to be remembered, however they want to remember me.

I've never re-gifted anything. I have been known to give something away if it doesn't fit and can't be returned. (MIL alert. She buys clothing gifts at outlets in the summer. Can't return or exchange after 30 days...) I give this type of thing to the thrift store.

• natal
    13 years ago

A turkey wishbone my dh painted

Boy does that take me back! About 30 years ago I collected chicken and turkey wishbones for the tree ... covered them with glitter.

Going to Roberto's tonight. We'll share a couple appetizers and then each have soup and salad. Gumbo for dh, crab & Brie for moi.

Roberto's

One of Rhea Gary's oils. It was a combined Christmas/Birthdays gift that year for both of us.

Just me and the kitties this year. Having dh home the past two weeks has been a nice Christmas. The day doesn't matter for us.

Do you prefer "old-fashioned" Christmas cards or a picture card?

I love photo cards! I save them from year to year. It's so cool to go back and look at how the kids have grown.

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

A striped blouse, gray gabardine pants and black boots.

Hmmm, OJ, coffee and oatmeal for breakfast, yogurt snack, skipped lunch so nibbled on some mixed nuts before our monthly staff birthday cake party. Oof, sugar rush and now a slight headache.

Tonight I'm broiling some of the last of the summer's catch of lobster tails for my daughter and myself (husband/son both away for weekend), with veggie-spiked rice and green beans. Oh, and a glass...or two...of chardonnay to celebrate the start of 2 weeks of time off for the holidays.

A vase inscribed with my alma mater (and employer's) crest. Given by my son when he was just a little guy. I was soooo touched that he gave a gift he knew would have special meaning. I bleed my school's colors and anything from there is very special to me. So, I love the gift but even more love the thoughtfulness of the giver. He's a very good husband-in-training.

A long sleeved denim work shirt. I don't wear denim. I don't garden. We live in Miami anyway so long sleeves are only useful about one week per year if that. How I love my passive aggressive MIL who makes it clear she doesn't really want to give me something but wants credit for presenting a gift...

Tie: the two small photo pictures of my kids and my university-logo ornament. See question #3.

We always get the tree the day after Thanksgiving, and I decorate it that weekend. When the kids were little we had a particular home that did a stupendous lighting display annually and we always took them to see it at some point during the season.

Hosting my sisters and their families, having a nice dinner then gift opening. Anticipating a very mellow time; no little kids left so it's more a chance to be together and enjoy each other.

My MIL. See question 4. My husband just took her out and replaced her dryer after the old one died, which we explained is our gift to her for Christmas. She has pretty severe memory issues at 87 so no doubt she'll forget and be pouting that we didn't get her anything. Maybe I should plunk a bow on top of the dryer when we get to her house for the Christmas gathering ;).

I actually like picture cards. Living here the traditional images are so far from our reality that I'd just as soon see how people look instead of snowy scenary or red/green themes (don't like either color bah humbug).

Amazed at how many people don't do this...OF COURSE I re-gift! Constantly, but with the caveat that I never give anyone something I don't think s/he would actually like or use. Example: I regifted a B&N gift card to my sister teh avid reader as her gift this year. Regifted an adorable but way too cutesy tropical-theme shelf to a friend of my daughter. Daughter said friend will adore using it in her dorm. I really don't see anything wrong with regifting as long as the rule above is followed.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Jeans, sweater, clogs.

Chinese for lunch, Mexican for dinner - I'm international!

DH got me a cello two years ago. I have NOT gotten off my butt to take lessons. That is my new years resolution (we both already play other instruments -- him woodwinds, me brass and percussion -- but strings are a strange new frontier!)

4. What was the oddest gift you've received? Used jewelry that was ca. 1960s, but not special or particularly attractive. But it was mid-century, so surely I must like it! (from stepmother, of course, see #8, below).

Either the hedgehog or a clown.

My little brother and I (now we are 45 and 33) always seemed to be in the car at midnight on Christmas Eve, coming back to mom's house from dad's house. So now, even if we don't have anywhere to go, we go get in the car and drive around for a few minutes over midnight.

It will be crazy, still not sure who all is to be where and when. But there are three states involved, and a brand new DIL/ grandbaby (who also comes with a new set of in-laws in another city).

My stepmother. She has everything she could ever want or need. And if the gift isn't "right" she will ask you to return it, or just send it back with Dad without letting you know it is coming!! But that doesn't stop her from getting me stupid gifts that she is incredibly jazzed about and that I graciously accept.

Either one.

Yes - small gifts like office-mate gifts, or dirty santa gifts.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I am always wearing the same thing when I answer this: garden/house/ dog clothes

Ok, I'll take a shot: pan seared shrimp with chardonnay butter and pasta, cashews, almonds, orange juice, coffee with half and half, cheese straws, wine, cookies, pretzels, Greek yogurt, toffee.
    Tonight's a big salad.

When I was young and poor, a friend gave me a hundred dollars to help me out. I never forgot it and passed it on many times since. It made such a difference in my life at that time.

MIL gave me a woman's uhhmm, feminine "product" in case I got stuck in the car and couldn't make it to a bathroom to urinate. Dh got the male equivalent. Once she gave me a specially designed (not) toilet brush.

Some mercury glass mushrooms with faces. Some are smiling, some are grimacing, I love them!

Usually a long walk with the dogs

Quiet and simple with family

Dh I've given up.

I do like picture cards

I don't know what this means. If I am given a brand new item and it remains brand new - i.e. with tags, packaging, etc. - but I don't use it but "pass" it on to someone I think it would be perfect for, how is that wrong?
    But I've never done it. I'm easy to please and like most things and usually get nice things. My toilet brush is useful!

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

My "uniform" -- jeans and a sweater. Black cashmere sweater from Lands End -- I am short, these come in petite sizes, and they're often on sale -- they are my favorite sweaters! I have collected a few.

Eating light because we're going out to dinner w/ friends tonight: Chobani yogurt, 2 clementines, 1/2 a ham and cheese sandwich, and a granola bar.

One year before Christmas, I saw a sapphire ring in a jewelry store window that I fell in love with. I knew DH had already bought me some things, and that this ring went beyond our usual gift budget, but the salesperson gave me a card with the info about the ring. I mentioned the ring when I got home and told DH "maybe someday" he might get it for me. He put it in my stocking that year. This was probably 6-7 years ago and I still wear the ring every day. I did, however, ask for a new ring this year. ;)

A really bad dried flower arrangement.

An ornament featuring a photo of DD on Santa's lap. She is around 2 years old and she's screaming her head off.

Nothing huge, but a few minor ones. One is that "Santa" puts the kids' stockings just outside their bedroom doors. We did this when they were little to buy us a little extra time before we had to go downstairs and see what was under the tree. My oldest DS, who is 18, still wakes up unreasonably early on Christmas morning! When he was young, it was sometimes 4 am.

Going to BIL's on Xmas Eve for a large gathering... my dad will be here for a couple of days... SIL will be here the day after Christmas, just for the day. And a party at a friends' house on the 23rd. All fun and mostly low-stress! Hurrah.

My dad. He is very easy to please, it's just hard to come up with ideas for him.

Love the picture cards. And with 3 kids, it would never occur to me to send a card without a photo!

Maybe a bottle of wine... otherwise, I don't think so. I'm too afraid of being found out! I have, however, donated unwanted gifts to charity.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Jeans, sweater, clogs.

Chinese for lunch, Mexican for dinner - I'm international!

DH got me a cello two years ago. I have NOT gotten off my butt to take lessons. That is my new years resolution (we both already play other instruments -- him woodwinds, me brass and percussion -- but strings are a strange new frontier!)

4. What was the oddest gift you've received? Used jewelry that was ca. 1960s, but not special or particularly attractive. But it was mid-century, so surely I must like it! (from stepmother, of course, see #8, below).

Either the hedgehog or a clown.

My little brother and I (now we are 45 and 33) always seemed to be in the car at midnight on Christmas Eve, coming back to mom's house from dad's house. So now, even if we don't have anywhere to go, we go get in the car and drive around for a few minutes over midnight.

It will be crazy, still not sure who all is to be where and when. But there are three states involved, and a brand new DIL/ grandbaby (who also comes with a new set of in-laws in another city).

My stepmother. She has everything she could ever want or need. And if the gift isn't "right" she will ask you to return it, or just send it back with Dad without letting you know it is coming!! But that doesn't stop her from getting me stupid gifts that she is incredibly jazzed about and that I graciously accept.

Either one.

Yes - small gifts like office-mate gifts, or dirty santa gifts.

• kellyeng
    13 years ago

Black turtleneck knit shirt w/ rolled up blue jeans and tan Birkenstock clogs.

Oh geez. I've been baking cookies all day and feel like puking at this point. 'Nuff said?

DH gets me a piece of All-Clad every year.

My mom got me a framed cross stitch one year. First of all, nothing anything close to my style. Second, it was filthy like she pulled it out of someone's trash. I half expected to turn the thing over and see a hairy piece of bubble gum stuck to it.

My German Christmas Pickle. It's sparkly.

One year I totally forgot to get something to eat for Christmas Eve. All the grocery stores and good restaurants are closed so if you don't get it early you're SOL. So we ate at a Chinese buffet. DH had such a hoot with it we decided to make it a tradition and for the last four years we've had Chinese buffet on Christmas Eve.

This year is totally different because everyone is going out of town so it will be just DH and me. We've decided to eat fruit and appetizers all day and go see a movie, maybe Tron or True Grit.

My BIL. You know, the guy who has everything.

9. Do you prefer "old-fashioned" Christmas cards or a picture card? Sure the pictures are nice but either is fine.

10. Have you ever re-gifted? If so, what was it and who was it to? A beautiful silk scarf that I would never wear so I gave it my Mom. She's a scarf person and loved it.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumble, if there was a contest for Best of Oddest Gift given to, you win hands down! lol.

Sue, my 32 year old son has your 18 year old son beat! My ds wants us at his house at 7am on Christmas morning!

I bought him a couple of real toys this year, so it should be fun.

Natal, you've got your priorities straight, spending time with your husband at any time is the best gift ever.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I know, oakly, I revel in that story!

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

-Black jeans, sox, heather gray t-shirt.

-I had an egg mcmuffin for breakfast, with coffee. Lunch was half a bowl of nasty chili. Luckily there was food at work, so I grazed on goodies...chicken salad on a cracker, fruit, a coconut macaroon, a slice of pumpkin bread and a cranberry cookie. Just grilled some steaks, but I don't feel like eating right now.

-Not really a gift, but when I was married to my first husband, we got an unexpected check for almost $4,000 from a wage underpayment. We were days away from having our 2nd baby, and we didn't have a car and were just broke. It was a lifesaver and was the catalyst that got our lives back on track.

-a mirror in the shape of a seal with a ball on it's nose.

-It's a vintage glass one that is like an elongated sphere.

-Kids are allowed to open one present from Grandma & Grandpa on Christmas Eve. That doesn't happen any more, so we still do the Christmas Stocking...the kids tear those open as soon as they come over.

-I'm cooking for everyone, and we're hosting here. All the kids will be here, my good friend, and my Mom & her DH. Possibly another couple, but mostly just eating & playing games.

-My mother. I've never been able to find the perfect gift for her.

-I don't know if I like picture cards, because they tend to be so pretentious. My friend, however, does a collage photo card every New Year, pix from the whole year, and it's fun.

-Just once. We were given a Soprano's game...we'd never even seen the show, so I have it to someone who was a fan.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Oops...guess I should have read from the top down...

Monetary gift...that would have been the Christmas I was expecting my first child. I had my heart set on a mirror I'd seen in a store I walked past every day. Under the tree was a package shaped like that mirror, but instead it was a print of a baby sitting in a washtub with a cloth up to her face. My then husband said it looked to him like our unborn baby, and it was PERFECT and I cherished that print. Unfortunately, I no longer have it, but I still have that baby (only she's now an adult!)

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

1. What are you wearing right now? gray sweatpants, tshirt wool hiking socks, slippers.

2. What have you eaten today or plan on eating for dinner? coffee its too early.

3. What was the best monetary gift you've received? Price isn't important. the kitchen aid stand mixer from my parents- it was the last Christmas gift from my Mom.

4. What was the oddest gift you've received? A beautifully wrapped box that contained an empty bottle of a liquer. The SIL supposedly wrapped the wrong box.

5. What is your favorite ornament on the tree? The ones my children made, now 27 and 22.

6. Do you have a special Christmas tradition? Until 2 years ago- on Christmas Eve, the 4 of us would watch the Muppets Christmas Carol( still my fav) and then the Santa Clause with Tim Allen. A fire in the woodstove and a deli platter- (kids assembled their own) and Christmas cookies. It was touching to see my grown kids, in their pjs, lying on the living room floor watching the movies!

7. What are your plans for Christmas? Christmas Eve party at DDs BFs parents house. wake up on Christmas Day open gifts eat our traditional breakfast casserole. Christmas dinner here- maybe- DD will probably go to BFs.

8. Who is the hardest person to buy for? DH

9. Do you prefer "old-fashioned" Christmas cards or a picture card? I like em all.

10. Have you ever re-gifted? If so, what was it and who was it to? No.

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

"What was the oddest gift you've received? A beautifully wrapped box that contained an empty bottle of a liquer. The SIL supposedly wrapped the wrong box."

Hmmm, cooper did you try to get a whiff of SIL's breath to see where the liqueur might have gone??? This one made me laugh out loud!

I thought of another oddest-gift in my family. This is actually an oddest-gift pattern. My stepmother loves to travel and she and my dad do several 6-8 week long trips to various parts of the globe annually. She has this system whereby she buys things, usually useless touristy trinkets, and presents them proudly to us as gifts. Except inevitably somewhere on the item is that tiny little tag that says 'Made in China'. It's become an in-joke among my sisters. "So, what did you get from Tanzania?" "Oh, that was the made in China Tanzanian doll"...

• hhireno
    13 years ago

Sweat pants, tee shirt, socks, and slippers

So far, a tangerine, 2 cups of tea, and a piece of toast with peanut butter & cinnamon. No ideas about dinner yet.

3. What was the best monetary gift you've received?
    A few years ago my DH surprised me with a trip to Aruba. We had been there 2 years earlier but I was covered in hives, had to see a doctor for a shot, & he threw out his back. He gave me a "do-over" trip. It was so unexpected and fun. We managed to do the second trip without incident.

Off the top of my head: every year getting ornaments from my in-laws: from places I haven't visited but they have, or some series from Hallmark (but never the whole series),or some event I haven't attended. I have only put a tree up probably 5 times in the past 17 years but we still received ornaments, tree or no tree. This year I did do a tree, since my niece & nephew are visiting, so I went through the boxes and used any thing non-breakable. It's a mix of things so it looks like a tree full of memories but most aren't my memories, just ornaments purchased for me. They came in handy this year since most are plastic or otherwise unbreakable so they filled the tree.

Obviously, based on above, I don't have a lot of emotion tied to the ornaments. I'd have to go look at the tree to see what's on there to determine if one was a favorite.

We always do a driving tour of the light displays. We do dinner here on Xmas eve and breakfast at his sister's on Xmas day.

Still to be determined but it will involve at least one family dinner here.

I don't have an answer for this. DH & I don't exchange, I buy very few presents for others, and his family is just a gift card exchange from a prepared list. I enjoy buying the few gifts I do and haven't found it hard yet.

I love the picture cards & I save them to see how the kids or pets have changed. A few years ago, a couple we know sent a photo of themselves, instead of the kids, with a note about sure everyone's kids are cute but this is how we're holding up. It was funny and a clever twist.

10. Have you ever re-gifted? If so, what was it and who was it to? I'm sure I have but I don't remember what. I am upfront about it and say I couldn't use this but thought you could.

• judiegal6
    13 years ago

Sneakers and workout clothes

Scrambled eggs and fiber one toast

3. What was the best monetary gift you've received? Price isn't important
    . diamond earrings

A large Resin Duck with a baby , it came with several outfits for every holiday

The ones with my kids photos

Up early, kids (funny I say because but they are 19,21,24,29,31,and 36) hubby and I open gifts one at a time from youngest to oldest, we lost to many pieces of things when we unwrapped in a frenzy. (3 of my girls are still home the other 3 come over a little later with their children and we start over.)

Home with family, dinner at DD #1

DH

I love getting any kind of card, but I especially like the Photo cards

No

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

H, your story about the ornaments (which is hilarious!) reminded me of a new tradition started by my MIL which I am now passing onto my DIL.

Every Christmas my MIL would give me an ornament, usually floral which she found at craft fairs. We never had money for nice ornaments when we were young so these became very special to me.

On a side note, for some reason she stopped doing that and now gives me an Amaryliss bulb every Christmas. lol

What I now do is give my DIL her ornament on Thanksgiving so she can enjoy it during the Christmas season. I've given her 6 so far, for the 6 years they've been married.

I don't go to craft fairs very often, so I spend around $10-$20 on an ornament I know she'll love but won't spend money on.

I hope she passes on this tradition to her children when they get married.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Cargo pants, black tee shirt, pumpkin colored shawl (we live in a victorian, which is always cold LOL)

We had brunch at a local place...Mom and I split a french toast and a ham and egg thing in spanish style (a bit spicy but yummy)

DH has given me many pieces of antique jewelry. I can't name a favorite as I love them all. Maybe the tiffany love birds with pearls in their nest...but really, I love them all.

A box of mac a roni and cheese and a picture of a dog.

I have a bunch of trees...dang I suppose the mom in me should answer the horrificly ugly white clay thing that holds a pic of DS which he made for me in school. It's adorable in it's uglyness and I will probably treasure it for life LOL

Jammies on christmas eve are always a gift which we wear on christmas day.

Dinner with family on Christmas eve and grandma will join us for christmas day. After a few years of christmas in the hospital with DS, proceeding many years away from "home" I have to say I treasure having mom nearby to share the holidays with us.

My husband!!! If he wants something he buys it. Which makes it hard to buy for him.

Both

Oh ya! Those gift basket things are great regifts LOL Don't tell though ok?

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Re the picture cards, I've never been sent one off the internet (do you mean they email it to you?). I do get many with either a photo enclosed or those nice cards which frame a picture. I save the pictures. I have a friend who adopted 3 children from Guatemala and her picture card each year (the kids are 13, 14 and 15 now) is something I eagerly anticipate!

tina

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

~ 26 y/o sweats (I swear) and sandals . . . I need to do some laundry today ;^D

~my breakfast this morning: a thin slice of green chile quiche, half of a small cranberry-orange scone, fresh pineapple, black coffee

~ a really great electric foot massager from Sharper Image . . . with all brick floors here, I love that thing!!!

~ the first Christmas after we were married, DH's sister sent us a pair of 18" tall, hand-painted, plaster wall decs that were ( cutesy, UGLY, garish, creepy) chefs, one Italian and one French. OMG, they were seriously hideous! DH & I took one look at them and threw them in the trash can . . . in the garage . . . under a lot of crumpled gift wrap so that we didn't have to look at them ever again. This was 28 years ago but I still shudder every time I think of those creepy things!

~ the Fisher-Price animals from the mobile that I used for both my kids. I couldn't bear to throw it away when they got older, so I took it apart, tied ribbons onto each animal and have used use them on our family tree (The Story of Us tree) ever since. They bring back a lot of happy memories.

~ Christmas Eve is always just us (as we host a big gathering here on Christmas Day). We have the same special tamales with my homemade red chile sauce dinner, read the Christmas story from the Bible and then open up Christmas presents from friends and grandparents. Afterwards, we walk around our small development of 11 homes, looking at the lit farolitos and Christmas lights.

~ Since all of our family lives out-of-state, we host a gathering of close friends here on Christmas Day . . . a very festive sit-down dinner with hilarious games afterwards . . . usually "Apples to Apples" and "Catch Phrase".

~ DS now that he's in the Army and travels oversees and between posts. Everything needs to be small, lightweight, very usable (as opposed to frivolous) and travel-worthy.

~ I like them both . . . and I like them even better when they come with a nice, newsy letter.

~ Not that I recall, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if the gift was a nice one . . . unlike those creepy plaster chefs ;^D
    Lynn

• OllieJane
    13 years ago

Oh Lynn, do you have a recipe for the green chile quiche? Sounds so good!