SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wkate640

Kitchen layout, particularly the island

13 years ago

We are planning our retirement home of approx. 2500 s.f. The kitchen will be the largest room, 16 x 16. (No basement or attic, so all kitchen gear needs to be stored in the kitchen.) As currently designed, the kitchen is U-shaped with a 3 x 4 island in the center. I wish I could post the floor plan, but I only have very large drawings and no capability to make them small enough to scan. If you were standing in the U and it was upside down, the oven/stove would be on your right with lower and upper cabs, the sink straight ahead at the window with lower and upper cabs, and three 30" base cabs on your left. The so-called breakfast bar is on the far side of those three 30" cabs. I feel it's a bit too far for conversation if one of us is standing at the stove or sink (we both typically work between those two) and the other is sitting at the counter, but would like your opinions. If you think it's far, would you eliminate that left row of cabs, make the island a few feet longer and put seating there? Seating (for two only) would be casual, not for meals. No prep sink planned, but I'd like a raised bar on the island to hide clutter at the sink area. So then we'd have an L-shaped kitchen with perhaps a 4 x 8 or so island. Does anyone have any pictures of this layout to share? I've seen a few but y'all seem to have tons of pix of everything. Thanks for whatever advice you can offer.

Comments (9)