SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momto4kids_gw

Lindac...chemistry question...

momto4kids
12 years ago

Linda,

I read in another post a point you were making to someone about hustling the cakes/cupcakes into the oven after the liquid has been mixed, etc, etc.

I understand the science behind all that and that's what I do.

Here's a question for my situation:

I feel comfortable fitting 4 12-cup muffin tins in my convection oven to bake.

However, from the time I put batter in the first cup to the time I put batter in the 48th cup...has too much time passed?

I'm never in that much of a hurry nor am I making quite that quantity, so I only bake 2 tins at a time. Today, I have to bake about 150 cupcakes. I was wondering if I should bake 4 tins at a time, but I thought about the deflating batter.

What should I do? I do have the time to do 2 tins at a time...I was just looking to be more efficient baking 4 at a time if I don't sacrifice the rise.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• lindac
    12 years ago

2 tins at a time will give you higher muffins....that is mix the batter for 24 muffins and bake 2 tins at a time.
    How much time is too much time between mixing and baking?...that's up to you. Maybe if you make an effort to hurry with the filling of the muffin cups it will be fine.
    I always use double acting baking powder, because it contains a leavening ingredient that only works when you heat it....as well as the ingredient that begins working as soon as you add water. I suspect that if you fill the muffin tins, the stuff you got into the first muffin cups won't deflate too much by the time you get to the end of filling the last of the 48.
    Try it once and see....the most is you would have some muffins that weren't as nicely risen as the others.
    How long does it take you to fill 48 muffin cups? 5 minutes? In which case you will be fine.
    Linda

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"2 tins at a time will give you higher muffins"...my first thought was to stick with that because of your comment.

However, my yellow batter seems to rise so much more than my chocolate batter...so maybe, it's worth trying it out, thinking any loss in height wouldn't be such a bad thing. I use RLB's All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake recipe. I do plan to use double-acting baking powder.

As for how long it takes me to fill...I place my tin on the scale and pour/spoon batter into each cup so they get the same amount by weight. I can do it pretty quickly. Not sure I can do it all in 5 min, but close.

But, okay, I think I'll give it a whirl. You're right...worst case...they won't have risen as nicely, but they'll get frosted, so who will notice?! :)

Thanks!

• Lisa_in_Germany
    12 years ago

Not to intrude on a post to Linda, but I use an ice cream scoop to fill my muffin tins and it goes really fast that way.
    Lisa

• ci_lantro
    12 years ago

I use an ice cream scoop to fill muffin/ cupcake tins, too. Goes much faster & I make lots less mess.

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would LOVE for you all to tell me what I'm doing wrong with the ice cream scoops!! I have tried and tried...really I have, and I am a complete mess with the scoops. I hear ya...I know it SHOULD be easier, but I'm such a failure! I even bought my scoops from KA! Is there some sort of trick to it?

Maybe I'll try it again the next time I make cupcakes for the kids. If I take too long or mess it all up...at least the cupcakes aren't going anywhere! :)

• Chi
    12 years ago

I like to use a batter dispenser with cupcakes. Just hold it over each, let the batter pour till it's where you want it then seal it off. No drops or dribbles or waste and it's more uniform than scooping to me.

This is a fancy one but it has great reviews. There are much cheaper ones out there too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Batter Dispenser

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Deb, I'm with you, I make an abysmal mess with an ice cream scoop, and when I use them for cookie dough it takes FOREVER. Of course mine is a cheapie model.

So, what do I use? A mental measuring cup with a handle. Still messy, but faster than a spoon and not as messy as an ice cream scoop.

Annie

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gee...thanks Annie! I'm so glad I'm not alone in this!! LOL! Hey, duh...yes, I have lots of those metal measuring cups. Now, exactly why didn't I think of that? Sometimes the obvious is so hard to see! :)

As to the batter dispenser...I wondered if those things were worth it! Hmmmm...need to check that out, too. Every Sunday is crepe/pancake day...so that would sure be easier!!

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Momto4kids:

Have the 4 kids help you fill the tins.
    Now you are down to 30 seconds and

30 minutes to clean up the mess.
    LOU

• loves2cook4six
    12 years ago

We used to mix HUGE batches in the bakery and fill DOZENS of trays and never had a problem with rise. I would say it could be up to 30 minutes from mixer to ovens but that said we were using huge commercial ovens too.

I would suggest you bake no more than 36 cupcakes at a time and try and keep them so the tops of the liners are about in the middle of the oven and there is room for air to circulate.

At home I bake in my Miele ovens and preheat the oven to 375, put the cupcakes in and turn down to 350. If your oven isn't hot enough, you'll have the opposite problem and the cupcakes will overflow the liners. I can get 24 cupcakes on a rack at a time.

Good luck and can't wait to see what you've made.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

L2C46, I made triple batches of cake batter for Ashley's wedding cake and the pans stood as long as half an hour, waiting for their turn in the oven, and I didn't have a problem with them rising either.

It did make me wish I had double ovens, though, or at least one big enough to hold three 12 inch square pans at once. The oven is too shallow, although it's wide enough, so I could get two pans in, but not three. The top two tiers were fine, but the biggest bottom tier had to be baked in two "installments".

Of course, that was LindaC's carrot cake, and I don't think carrot cake rises like other cakes, it's different.

Annie

• lindac
    12 years ago

Yeah....I have a 4th layer of a carrot cake in the freezer....waiting for an occasion for when a "less than perfect carrot cake" would be OK.
    And while I love the accolades....the recipe really belongs to Julie Trussler of J. T.'s cuisine. Google it!

Linda C

• colleenoz
    12 years ago

I use a large metal kitchen spoon to scoop up the batter, one heaped spoon is pretty well one large muffin cup full.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Perfect or not, I can tell you that there wasn't any left.

Yes, I know it's Julie T's recipe, but you posted it so now it's yours, although the copy I kept has your notations as to where you got it too.

Truthfully, the only recipe I have that's really "mine" is my salsa recipe. Everything else I got from someone else or I made changes to someone else's recipe to suit my tastes. "Adapted from", I guess...

Annie