SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

Need Feedback On Windows Over The Sink Choices

sandy808
13 years ago

We are in the process of building a Florida Cracker Style home with a full wrap around porch. We have the house pretty well dried in, but my husband has told me that my window choices have to be made by midnight tonight or the construction will stop. Fortunately, we are owner/builder, so we have no builder hassles, and the men have been able to support the roof by sheathing the house and leaving some of the window framing to give me time to think.

As the construction progresses I am able to see things that no amount of paper planning can show you. I have actually changed my whole kitchen concept, for the better, because of some other constraints we ran into.

I am now having my sink overlooking our woods, rather than in an island or peninsula, and am going to put my farm table back in the kitchen itself rather than detatched in some sort of nook. The problem with the window area is that I am only 5 ft. 3 in. and the window itself will not only be over the counter, but set back about 10 inches because we are having thick, insulated walls.

I am considering counter height windows, or at the very least, windows starting in what would or could be a backsplash area. If they are put at the "standard" 10 inches or so above the counter, I will never be able to open or close them without a step stool.

Our house style dictates french doors (we're getting the sliding french doors so we can have screens) and double hung windows. The window company we are going with has said most men have trouble opening and closing double hungs over a counter, let alone a short woman. He said he and his wife tried the sliding style over the sink in their home and they are awkward. Those aren't something I like well enough for this house anyway.

The suggestion made to me were casement windows over the sink, which I do love anyway. The kitchen is in the back, so the front facade will look the way it should. My concern is the windows swinging into the porch area. However, it is an 8 ft. wide porch, and our children are grown. I'm wondering if we put in a bank of smaller windows that won't swing out as much, if it will work out O.K. I have had casement windows over a sink in a past home, and I was able to crank them out fine. I had to stretch a bit to latch them, but could still do it without a stool.

The other problem with double hungs over a sink is that darn horizontal bar near eye level. I've mocked it up and all the factors involved stuck that thing in my face.

Any shared experiences you have with this situation would greatly help me make a decision. I will be so glad when I can move onto some of the fun planning. The window placement and sizes, and floor plan flow have been stressful. It's not been easy putting a modern floor plan into an old style home, particularly with porch posts to contend with in planning doors and windows, and the ensuing centering and sightlines. (No regrets though. Love the house so far).

Sandy

Comments (15)