SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
illya_naumov

What kind of lighting over sink with a window?

Illya Naumov
5 years ago

I'm in the process of making design choices for my new build and I'm having a tough time imagining what lighting to put over the sink. For some reason, my builder says that a recessed light is not possible in that location. The rest of the floor is going to be all recessed lights aside from the pendants over the island.

I've attached a pic of what the kitchen plan looks like in a move in ready home they're selling (the design is hideous imo) just to give an idea of the layout. We're planning on doing light to medium grey shaker cabinets with black stainless appliances (GE Cafe), dark floors, and probably white-ish counters and backsplash. We're doing 9ft ceilings and 42" uppers unlike the pic I have attached which is 8ft & 30". I've also attached the tentative pendant lights.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)

• calidesign
    5 years ago

I would find out why you can't have a recessed light there. Maybe if you pay extra they will do it. If not, I would try to make it decorative, and would look for one that hangs down a few inches rather than using a ceiling mount. There are lots of examples here that show a hanging sink light that coordinates with the pendents. You could even use your pendent light on a shorter wire.

Spring Lane · More Info

Illya Naumov thanked calidesign
  • pgsd
    5 years ago

A recessed light (canned light) should be easy for the builder. Offer to pay a little extra to get it or, you may have to do it after you move in. Otherwise, a hanging pendant similar to your others would work.

• Related Discussions

what kind of light over kitchen sink?

Q

Comments (1)
    Oops.....meant to post on the electrical wiring forum....will move it over there!
    ...See More

what kind of window treatment over sink window?

Q

Comments (6)
    Sorry no pictures available, and shutters is not a thing to do in NY (even though they can be nice, do not fit look in my kitchen). I have Noice tumbled marble for a back splash if that helps and a French/Italiam feel to my kitchen. (Walls are painted a sage green) Also need some priviucy since kitchen looks into neighbors yard and can be seen from front sidewalk.
    ...See More

Light over kitchen sink at window

Q

Comments (5)
    Will you also be hanging 3-4 pendant above the kitchen island? I ask because it would be nice to have a similar, or matching pendant style throughout the kitchen. [Pendant[(https://www.houzz.com/products/emery-1-light-mini-pendant-in-imperial-silver-prvw-vr~10617085)
    ...See More

What kind of rug/runner in front of sink over wood floors?

Q

Comments (11)
    Here is a pic of the area of my oak floors (real oak) that is directly in front of my sink, dishwasher to the right. I refinished them 14 years ago, but have not touched them since. No rug there - that would be one more thing for me to clean, and I will say that my sister has one for her sink, and it gets pretty grungy before she can get around to getting it cleaned. I'd rather just take a towel and wipe up drips from the floor than have a rug in front of the sink absorb the drips until I can get to wash it. Also, my house is a no-shoes house. I am not saying you need to be whatsoever. I am saying I suspect it to be a contributing factor to my floors' good appearance. I do have several pets with nails that scramble around.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I bet it's because the joist is right there. they do make super thin recessed lighting, meant for studs.

If that's not the problem, then what is it? because he already has the electrical right there w/the current light. i don't understand why he can't put in the thin recessed.

any type of pendant will look weird if it's not directly over or in front of (closer to the window) the sink.

you may be able to do something like the school light type of lights

if you still can't do the recessed and the light isn't over the sink (i can't tell from your photo angle), then patch and fill the hole. no light. have him put in another recessed light elsewhere if you need more light. or, do a sconce over the window.

• PRO
    Docklights.com
    5 years ago

Recessed lights shouldn't be a problem, but you probably don't want to just do recessed lights throughout, because it isn't very visually interesting. You want something that is functional, and that enhances the decor. Ideally, look for something that doesn't block the window. A wall-mount downlight would be nice. If it is in your budget, something like this would look great.

• Pam A
    5 years ago

The super thin recessed light Beth showed is what we used everywhere and it is awesome. But one reason it may not work is that if they used that light fixture box as a junction box ... that was the case in our hall so we used a super low profile light that honestly reminds me a bit of a shower light. Recessed wasn't an option because there was so much running through that box. The shower-looking light is an improvement over the rusting boob-light so I'm happy with the outcome :)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    5 years ago

A wall mounted over the window or a can. Whatever you do, do not choose the light you are showing in the show home.

• PRO
    Chi Renovation & Design
    5 years ago

You could easily do a pendant light, recessed light, or a flush mount. Here are some options from designs we did that might help.

Des Plaines Kitchen Remodeling · More Info

Niles Kitchen Remodeling · More Info

Illya Naumov thanked Chi Renovation & Design
  • shead
    5 years ago

They make “pancake” LED lights that look recessed but fit inside a J box. We’ve bought ours at Home Depot and they are Commercial Electric brand. Very inexpensive.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

That is odd.... something else must be going on there... Personally I totally prefer the wall sconces over the window especially on higher ceilings. It brings the light closer to where you need it. Also make sure you are investing in undercabinet lighting. From a design point of view, I would suggest moving the stove to the right otherwise when someone is at the stove and at the sink they will be bumping into each other...

Congrats on the new house!!

Illya Naumov thanked Debbi Washburn
  • erinsean
    5 years ago

I have a pendent light over my sink....and over the peninsula two more just like it.

• Illya Naumov
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just an update on what we ended up going with - We went with 2 slate gray 16" wide pendants for the island, and a round clear glass pendant over the sink. During the electrical phase of the build we will figure out the exact heights to hang with but I really like the look of a pendant hanging over the sink and the clear glass will keep it from blocking out natural light.

For the clear glass pendant, we will swap in a modern style bulb to replace the Edison bulb that is included.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Whatever. But hate to say, they don't marry too well .Also, your island is only 30 inches deep. This means those island pendants will be a 7 inches set back from the long sides of island. You will need to hang em high........or you are short and your guest are too.....or you hang with a clearance of 78 from the floor to the bottom of the pendant. About 6 inches higher than "normal" but a head banger unless you do that.

Or the thirty inches is a typo......and you mean 36 "Still.........hang them a bit high.

TWO four inch recessed over the window, one either side of the obstructing joist........under cabinet lighting. Anything but the hanging pendant. Guaranteed when up, you will not be happy. : ( and you WILL be back here.

Illya Naumov thanked JAN MOYER
  • Illya Naumov
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I agree that they're not the best combination, but it's still in flux. I've got almost two months before I need to lock anything in. I'll be on the look out for lighting that compliments the island pendants without going for a matching look.

I like your feedback on the two smaller recessed lights, I'm going to check if that's possible during my next planning meeting with the builder. I don't think I feel as strongly about going no pendant over the sink, but I do agree that there may be better options.

As for the island; It's 34" wide and 66" long. The pendants I have chosen for it are 16" wide and 16" tall. That means there should be 9" of clearance on either side of the island. I'm not sure on how high exactly to hang them but 72-78" from the floor seems like it would make sense.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm definitely no pro when it comes to home design and I really like hearing other opinions. I'm good at picking out what I like, but applying it to an entire room is difficult.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Change both. At 16 inches diameter, and a 66 inch island?

66" - 9" at each end for head clearance, minus the total 32 that the pendants take up? Means the pendants will be 16 inches apart. also TOO CLOSE. Also not proportionally pretty.

You need to re select to something no more than 10/12 inches diameter. Or do a 30 inch linear style single light

https://www.circalighting.com/agnes-small-pendant-arn5350/

https://www.arteriorshome.com/mason-small-pendant

• Illya Naumov
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    When I actually draw it out with the measurements, you’re definitely right in terms of the size. I think I’ll have to do something different than what I picked.

I like that first pendant you linked, I think it would look very nice in the context of the kitchen design.

I’ll have to look around to find something I can pair it with for over the sink.

I’ll look around and hopefully update the thread with something I like.

Thanks for the help!
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

The point here is you're resistant to what needs to happen over the sink. Perhaps you don't have a builder who is even remotely creative . Nobody here can convince you that two FOUR inch recessed ( one either side of the joist ) would allow your island pendant to dominate and look great. You'd have better lighting over the sink. And your builder/electrician is remiss n not suggesting it. The designer you clearly don't have , to help and guide you, would tell you what I just told you.

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I know I'm kinda out in left field on this topic, but I like the old-fashioned look of a wooden valance between two cabinets ... something like this:

And this allows for a long florescent bulb to hide behind that wooden valance /means we can plenty of light but NO pendant above the sink.

Something I've learned about myself in prepping for our build is that I dislike "ceiling clutter" (that includes recessed lights), and too many pendants /multiple types of pendants can quickly become "ceiling clutter".

• tatts
    5 years ago

Jan is right. You need TWO lights over the sink, not one. Otherwise you'll have deep, harsh shadows while you're working there. You want even lighting in all work spaces.

Nobody uses fluorescent lights in kitchens any more, and for good reason.

• Illya Naumov
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I appreciate all the feedback, and I'm going to see about getting two 4" recessed lights put in above the sink. I have a meeting with my builder this Wednesday, and I'm sure they'll be okay with either splitting the joist or doing a low profile recessed can there.

I think the reason I'm so hung up on the over sink pendant is because I have an open floor plan with exclusively recessed lights on the first floor (outside of these pendant lights). I know that ceiling clutter can look bad, but a barren ceiling can be very bland and boring too.

• Illya Naumov
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I figured I'd attach a picture of the lighting plan to better show what I mean.