SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Any Specific Plans for Christmas Meals???

lynninnewmexico
11 years ago

Do you have a traditional Christmas breakfast or dinner, or do you just wing it every year with whatever sounds good at the moment?
Our Christmas Eve dinner and breakfast the next morning seem to be carved in stone. Christmas Eve dinner is just the four of us by choice and is a totally bizarre mix of our favorite foods: tamales with red chile sauce, smoked oysters, pickled herring in sour cream sauce,(special) cheeses and crackers, Caesar salad, green chile & cream cheese roll-ups, coconut shrimp and wine.
Christmas Morning breakfast is always Grandma Kay's coffee cake, sausages, scrambled eggs with green chiles, OJ and coffee.

For the last 3 years we've had a gourmet sit-down dinner where we've made most of the meal. A LOT of work and I'm, frankly, tired of it. This year we're going back to a buffet where everyone is bringing their own special dishes. I've told everyone involved what I'm providing for the meal and said to bring whatever else they want. I don't really care, because I know it will all taste great and that's what counts. This year I'm making:
- a spiral-cut honey baked ham
- boiled shrimp platter with cocktail sauce
- a cheese ring & crackers
- green chile & cream cheese roll-ups
- tamales with red chile sauce
- Meatballs in a cranberry and chili sauce
- a fresh veggie tray with dip
- spinach & artichoke dip
- wines
- mulled cider
- iced tea
- (soda) pop
- coffee
- several varieties of homemade Christmas cookies
- chocolates
- mixed nuts

This is a buffet that actually serves as a late-lunch feast and later a grazing-type dinner for a number of people. To help save my sanity, I've decided that I'm not serving anything this year that can't be made ahead of time and just put on serving platters before the guests arrive. DD and I spent most of yesterday making the things that would store well or could be frozen for it. I'd love to put out nice paper plates instead of my usual Christmas china, but DH is against that. I do have to say that he always helps me clean up and wash dishes after everyone goes home, but it would be nice to have that 1 1/2- 2 hours to put our feet up and relax in front of the fire instead.

So, do you go crazy fixing special meals for Christmas (or Hanukkah)? Do you like to have the same thing every year or do you try new things? Any special foods you have to have?

Lynn

Comments (26)