SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barb5_gw

Help from Wise Moms Needed

barb5
14 years ago

I've been really down in the dumps since Thanksgiving. Really low, and trying to analyze why. And this is what I think it is:

I am an empty nester, the last kid fledged the nest to college in Sept. I did well, signed up for a class, began to repurpose the house to fit DH and my needs, and told myself that everyone would be back for Thanksgiving. And talked myself into enjoying a house that stayed clean.

Then Thanksgiving. The kid who went to college came home, stayed up most of the night, and slept a lot of the day. When he was up, he was mostly on the couch with his computer on Facebook or playing games. I began to really nag at him about his sleeping, his eating habits, his not helping out, his not wanting to do much with the familly. And I felt terrible and realized that while he can come to visit us, he has really left to begin his own life. At one point, after I had nagged him, he told me he couldn't wait to get back to college.

DD got married this summer. She came to Thanksgiving with our new SIL (he is wonderful and they look so happy together), but then announced that she will be going to his parent's house either Christmas Eve and/or Christmas morning. So Xmas traditions will never be the same.

Then I got a copy of my Dad's will in the mail (he had made changes that he wanted me to know about), and I got very down thinking about the day he will no longer be here. I lost my Mom years ago, and Xmas is so wrapped up with her that I always feel her loss this time of year.

So....kids grow up. And parents grow old. And I should cope, but I'm not doing so hot. How did those of you with kids who are grown cope with this transitional phase of life? Did you experience this, and if so, how did you get yourself out of the funk?

Comments (22)