SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackfre

mini-split Achilles heel

jackfre
9 years ago

Anyone who has read any of my posts knows what a fan I am of mini-splits. I heat and cool my home with them and recommend them to everyone. BUT! I have had one system in the living room doing heating and cooling for 3+ years. I have been steady in cleaning the filters and vacuuming the face of the coil. At least the part i can reach, which isn't much of it. In our ongoing remodel my GC accidentally cut one of the refrigerant lines on this system. As the charge was dumped and with the opening of the floor plan I wanted to re-locate the interior unit anyway, so I pulled the evaporator off the wall. I'm in the business and am embarrassed to say it but I could not believe how dirty the unit was, once I could get at it to see. I had recognized that the systems performance was falling off over the last year or so. Slightly, but declining none the less.

I broke the unit down and thoroughly cleaned the fan and coil. I used some a pump sprayer with NuCalgon Evap Power C coil cleaner. It did a good job on the coils. The evaporator is in pieces,but it is as clan as a whistle. Once I get this one re-installed, which will be a few weeks as we are residing/windows on the side of the house the condensers are located on, I will then go after the other three evaps in place. That is going to require some heavy plastic on the walls running into a trash can. I will spray the coil cleaner and then spray water on it. The water will either go down the units drain or down the plastic into the can. Cleaning the fan will be tedious, but very necessary.

My point is that you do not want to delay cleanings on these units. They are great equipment but must be maintained...just like all equipment!

Comments (19)