SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Duct cleaning

Tmnca
11 years ago

We have a 2 bedroom townhouse in California, built in 1980. The original Whirlpool gas furnace was still in here when we bought the place, not in good shape at all of course (scary), and we just had a new Bryant put in.

I don't know if the ducts have ever been cleaned in this house, and I've never had to have it done before - previous homes did not have forced air. I've read so many things about it and heard so many different opinions.

It comes down to the fact that I have allergies, the house is 30 years old and at one time had popcorn ceilings (no asbestos thankfully) that were removed so some construction has gone on. When we purchased the home 2 of the bathroom exhaust fans didn't work nor did the kitchen exhaust fan - I replaced the inner blowers all myself and what was inside those fan housings was awfully disgusting. One bathroom fan in the powder room (not even exposed to moisture/no shower) looked like an alien life form growing in there.

So, what are the feelings here on having ductwork cleaned, is it worth the money? We are on a budget and of course just spent lots on replacing the furnace etc so I don't want to waste our money but if cleaning is a worthwhile practice I would prefer to do it before we start using the heat.

Comments (29)