SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikensx

Which option for a 130 year old brick house.

mikensx
11 years ago

2 1/2 story plaster on brick house. 32 large windows replaced with low e double pane. 3,500 sq of heated area.

I want to replace my 22 year old HVAC system with an efficient setup. Currently have natural gas 190,000 btu furnace about 68% efficient and 5 ton AC. The AC unit is sized too large and runs about 60% on the hottest days. On not so hot days, the house is cool but clamy. It costs about $600/mo to heat and $400 to cool. My duct work is not set up for cooling; all air returns on first floor, but it works for me. I have ceiling fans to move air. About a 4 degree difference from 1st to 2nd floor.

My installer said that efficiency is so much higher now then my equipment that my savings will be significant. I'm thinking a condensing furnace in the low 90% range, and a high seer AC unit.

Today, he suggested that for a thousand more he thinks that I should consider a high efficiency heat pump with gas back up. He's telling me that these heat pumps today can work down into the low teens with good efficiency.

But, I've heard that heat pump houses often don't feel warm. And my house in hard to heat with ice cold walls.

My goal is to raise efficiency and realize real savings on monthly bills while not spending a huge amount on the equipment.

I see there is a great price difference between high efficiency and the latest super high efficiency. I don't want to double my equipment cost to gain 6%.

What do you think? is heat pump a good choice for an old brick low efficiency house?

Thanks

Comments (6)