SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilyzl

Need help building a kitchen/bath combo in 120-year old house

last year

Hey there -- we have just bought a 120-year old house that needs a ton of work, including building a kitchen from scratch. It has one current bathroom which is directly in the back entrance -- you walk in and see the toilet-- that needs to be a mudroom/laundry instead. So in the roughly 15x21.5 foot kitchen space, we need to build a bathroom. There's a corner space 8'10" x 11'10" with doorways on either side that I think should work -- either 5x8 on one side, or up to 5x11 on the other side. One option would result in a galley-style layout, whereas the other would be a bit quirkier shape. Either way, complications include two tall (new) windows only 11 or so inches from the floor, and an original door to the outside that hasn't really been blocked up yet (and maybe we should keep, with a french door? It's south facing and we have almost no windows to the south!). We don't mind not having an island, and we don't mind that it will be quirky (it's an old house), but I'm interested in hearing which layout you all think would be more natural, more functional, and a better fit. Thank you so much for any help you can give!

(Hopefully the pictures work - the first is the layout, 2nd and 3rd are my bathroom ideas, the 4th is the larger view of the whole floor, and the rest are screenshots of the kitchen.)

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH