SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave120

Gas valve and circulator pump won't start up

dave120
16 years ago

I have just reconnected my upper zone pipes for my boiler after putting an addition on to my house (two new doorways meant I had to cut off baseboards).

After 4 months of hard labor on my addition it got cold enough where I had start up the boiler so I had to solder all the pipes together, fill with water and purge out the air.

Upon restarting the boiler a few problems came up, 1st the thermocouple wouldn't get to 30 mV needed to engage the electro magnet that keeps the gas valve closed.

Then the pilot light flame diverter broke off so I made a new tip, repositioned the T/C and was finally getting 30 mV.

With that problem fixed I thought it would be a snap to light the pilot and turn the gas valve from pilot to on after about 1 minute so the T/C would have time to heat up.

After several failed attempts, I bypassed the gas valve "temporarily" to ensure the rest of the system functioned properly.

Well, the burners started up fine and the lower zone control valve was already on (I have a light up relay showing which zones are active and you can hear the zone control valve opening up).

But the circulator pump (I believe it is wired in parallel to a capacitor) was very hot meaning it was getting the proper voltage but no indication that it was rotating because the end that feeds into the boiler was hot but the other end, which is the return line, was cold.

After reading some of your forum discussions on oxidation and corrosion that can occur to parts that are exposed, I hope, as far as the circulator pump is concerned, that it hasnÂt locked up.

Sorry for the lengthy message but I wanted to make sure you understood it.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this matter. I am just afraid of what a service call for these problems would cost me.

Comments (8)