SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nini804

New! And would like countertop opinions, please!

nini804
13 years ago

Hi! I am a new member, and we are in the framing process of building a custom home. The style of my house is rather traditional, Georgian, but with painted brick. I am addicted to light, and have always loved white kitchens. My designer and I have laid out the kitchen cabinets..they will be white painted maple. I have a decent-sized island (7'5" x 4'6") that will be just a work zone, no sink or range on the top. I adore honed marble, and have always thought that I would use it on the perimeter counters and have honed absolute black on my island. BUT...I have been looking at pictures lately, and also looking at my perimeter...I think I want MORE marble! One wall has the sink and fridge, with countertop to the left of the sink and to the right until it gets to the fridge. The other wall has a 36" range right in the middle and countertop on two sides...and that is it (there is a doorway on each side of the range wall, one to my office and pantry, the other to the butler's pantry (which will be marble,also.) I am just worried that that big black top on my island is going to look like a black hole in my pretty kitchen, and that I will wish I had more of the lightness of the marble! The island is going to be where my kids sit and eat, do homework, all that...plus I will probably be preparing food on it as well, so I thought the granite would be more practical. But...I am worried I won't like the look of it. Any ideas? What would you do? I am not a messy cook (actually, I am not much of a cook at all ;)) and I know that the marble will etch...would you do all of the kitchen in marble? Or will I drive myself crazy with the kids sitting there with their markers, cereal bowls, etc...

TIA for any advice!

Comments (10)