SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Good Idea - Or Just Procrastination?

amck2
11 years ago

My DF range is not worth repairing & I decided to replace w/ a slide-in induction. DH thought a better plan was to do an induction cooktop & add wall ovens. I posted here to get opinions on that, and they were mixed.

If I did go that route, I would want to take out the OR MW (that was here when we moved in) and put in a venting hood. That means a reconfiguration of current cabs, painting, backsplash, etc. So, now you see - as anyone who frequents this forum surely knows - that we are exponentially into far more planning/ expense/time/labor than a simple stove replacement.

I am thinking that this will essentially become a kitchen remodel. Right now I'm caring for my aging/ill parents (mom has advanced Alzheimers), going back & forth from my home to theirs. We've also been having to make unexpected financial supplements toward their care, which will be ongoing.

I don't think this is the right time to get into kitchen deconstruction but DH makes the point that our lives still have to go on. We will still have family events to celebrate and holiday meals held at this house.

I'm torn between just "doing it", just sliding in a new range (which will limit future reno plans) or just holding out for another year (projected March bonus 2014) and starting plans now for a major remodel.

The range still works (w/ intermittent beeping from F1 error because of fried motherboard..)but I have to turn it on & off from the basement breaker each time I use it to not have constant beeping. Can/should I trust living w/ that for another whole year? DH is leaving this up to me.

This post was edited by amck on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 16:37

Comments (9)