SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycjsw

HVAC units in attic - making their area finished

nycjsw
9 years ago

I have 4 HVAC units in my house. Two are in the basement and 2 are in the attic. The attic has a 5 ton a/c unit with a gas furnace for the bedroom floors and a small heat pump for a 800 sq ft finished attic area. Just off the finished attic area is a small unfinished part of the attic where the HVAC systems are stored.
The bedroom floor 5 ton unit runs a lot and at 7 years old has a considerable amount of rust build up. I've cleaned the rust out and tried to treat it with a rust converter product. It's just so hot it the attic during the summer (I'm in Virginia). The basement units have no rust and look new.

Question - I'm looking to enclose and insulate the area where the attic HVAC units are stored. I don't know if this will help but it seems like it would. The duct work would still be in the hot parts of the attic but I figured a regulated temperature room would help the a/c not rust. I saw an episode of This Old House and the a/c guy made a general statement how attics are very hard on HVAC equipment. I would use a vent from both the 5 ton unit and attic unit to cool the HVAC area. Our basement HVAC area has a fresh air vent that runs all the way up to the attic. I assume if I finish off the attic HVAC area I would also need some small vent to let fresh air in - it would also let hot air it??? Any input would be appreciated. Let me know if this is a waste of time/$$$.

Comments (8)