SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adrian_sifuentes

Cold Water Washing in Front Loader

Cyberspacer
16 years ago

Hi Folks

I have a Miele washer and for the last few years I've grown acustomed to using the hotter temperatures that the machine can produce.

I understand from a few folks on this blog that ultra hot temperatures are used less by Europeans. Like my Miele, they normally have washers that can achieve super hot temps of up to 200 degrees farenheit.

Can anyone advise on what temperatures produce good results on dirty laundry, typically. I am particularly curious about the results using COLD water as I have lots of dark clothing. I'm concerned about premature fading that may occur when using warm or hotter temps, but I'm uncertain that cold water may not get give the clothing the deep clean you get with hotter temps, nor am I certain that cold water really preserves color. For colors and darks, I go no hotter that warm water.

Also, I have some very nice dressy clothing (usually cottons) that I wash using a handwash cycle, but sometimes the cycle is too gentle and I can't remove body perspiration stains and odors. A possible solution would be using a normal cycle using cold water; but again, I'm concerned about fading and cleaning.

I use both powders and liquids from Persil, Method and Tide.

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions you may have.

Comments (5)