SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silicontraption

Buderus vs Munchkin vs Phoenix for radiant + hot water

contraption
15 years ago

Hi All,

We are doing a major home renovation - half new, half updated old construction. We are going with an underfloor radiant heating system. We need to finalize our selection of combination (gas) heat source. We want the same boiler to do both domestic hot water + hydronic heating. We are tight for space, and the heater will be located in a utility closet close to the middle of the house, so noise is a factor.

We've found Buderus, Munchkin, and today learned about a "Phoenix" unit from the same folks who make the Munckin (Heat Transfer Products - http://www.2hsc.com/residential/manufacturers/phoenix.html).

There's apparently a pretty significant cost difference between the Buderus (top shelf as far as we understand) and the Phoenix. The Munckin seems to be in the middle.

The Buderus and Munchkin would form the heart of a similar (heater+tank) system, and the Phoenix would be a rather different solution (all in one).

Does anyone have any experience / recommendations / warnings about any or all of these?

We are trying to save money where we can, but don't want regret going with the cheaper alternative.

I look at the Phoenix and see "old school" design, whereas the Buderus, and to a lesser degree the Munckin, seem like better engineered, more modern solutions. (I'm a mechanical engineer by training, so that's a strong factor for me.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton,

-Bruce

San Francisco Bay Area

Comments (19)