SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnlaw

Quandary over forced air - any choice?

mtnlaw
16 years ago

Hello all. This is my first post here after following these very helpful forums for a while.

We are trying to making some final decisions on our new build and one of the biggest of course is HVAC related. Ill first summarize basic facts about our location and design, and then put my quandary on the table for you.

House specifics:

Elevation: 3200Â

Site: South-facing slope with creek from which we are getting micro-hydro power, grid-tied, approx. 800-1000 KwH per month; passive solar design with long axis of house facing 165 degrees (15 degrees off due south); western sun dips behind treeline in late afternoon to minimize heat gain in summer; eastern morning sun will cause some summer heat gain issues

Size: 2146 sq. ft.; total volume of conditioned space per Manual J: 19,317 ft.

Manual J calc fugures are below (I have little clue what they mean)

Design: 2-story: Walkout basement with ICF walls; main floor hybrid timber frame with advanced stick framing;

Icynene insulation throughout; envelope will be very tight

Manual J:

Check Figures

Total Building Supply CFM: 1,192 CFM Per Square ft.: 0.555

Square ft. of Room Area: 2,146 Square ft. Per Ton: 1,214

Volume (ft³) of Cond. Space: 19,317 Air Turnover Rate (per hour): 3.7

Building Loads

Total Heating Required With Outside Air: 36,657 Btuh 36.657 MBH (Based On 0.960 Derating)

Total Sensible Gain: 14,568 Btuh 82 %

Total Latent Gain: 3,302 Btuh 18 %

Total Cooling Required With Outside Air: 17,870 Btuh 1.49 Tons (Based On Sensible + Latent)

1.77 Tons (Based On 75% Sensible Capacity)

(and 0.916 Sensible Derating)

Please let me know if IÂm leaving out anything else germane to HVAC issues.

HereÂs the quandary: Our initial direction was to go without ductwork/forced air, and instead use radiant floor heat + possibly wood stoves for heat, possibly mini-splits for cooling, but that didnÂt address dehumidification and whole house air-exchange/ventilation. Budget issues dictated a reconsideration of that approach and we are now considering a forced air system and have received quotes for Trane XL16i and XL19i with heat pumps, zoned controls, XV95 2 stage variable speed gas furnace, Clean Effects filter and ERV.

Questions/Issues:

1. I just donÂt know if our layperson thinking was off from the get go about not having any ductwork. We had a dream (if you call it that) about not having it, but it just seems too problematic in trying to address all the other air/ventilation issues that are left unsolved by just using radiant heat and mini-splits. Is this an issue that anyone has any opinions on resolving?

2. We really wanted radiant heat, but doesnÂt it become irrelevant or overkill if we go with forced air?

2. Are these quotes from the Trane dealer within a reasonable range? They include labor and equipment with 10 year workmanship warranty in addition to the manufacturerÂs warranty. The Clean Effect filter and ERV are extras not included in these prices but the furnace is. Do you need any more information to assess them?

EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS

Make: Trane Model Number(s): 2TWX9030B1000A 2TEE3F40B1000A BATHTR1408000A

SEER: 17.3 HSPF: 9.5 Btuh Cooling: 30,000 Btuh Heating: 30,000

Installation shall include: a Trane, XL19i, two stage, heat pump with a Trane, variable speed, 8kw, air handler installed with a three zone automatic control system to allow temperature control from each of the three zones.

Total Investment: $ 16,838.47

EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS

Make: Trane Model Number(s): 4TWX6024B1000A 4TEE3F31B1000A BATHTR1408000A

SEER: 16 HSPF: 8.6 Btuh Cooling: 24,000 Btuh Heating: 24,000

Installation shall include: a Trane, XL16i, two stage, heat pump with a Trane, variable speed, 8kw, air handler installed with a three zone automatic control system to allow temperature control form each of the three zones.

Total Investment: $ 18,385.83

Thanks very much in advance for any replies.

Comments (5)