SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Congratulations, Shee!!! Baby Shee on the way!

Oakley
12 years ago

Not sure if everyone knows this but our Shee is having a baby, her first!

Shee, give us the scoop. How are you feeling? When's the due date?

You're going to have so much fun. You'll be exhausted, but it's still a lot of fun!

Comments (61)

• golddust
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sheesh!! Congratulations!!!! There is no greater love than the love you have for a child.

• southern_vesta
    12 years ago

What wonderful news indeed! Congratulations Shee!

• Related Discussions

Parents NOT revealing baby's gender

Q

Comments (47)
    "I would love this child to be a boy and this boy becomes a man who becomes an excellent and holy Catholic priest." Like the kid doesn't already have enough to deal with? Why wouldn't you wish for the child to be a girl? How about praying that the child becomes an excellent human being? Or if Christian ministry is what you consider the best end result, how about praying that the child becomes an excellent and holy minister - regardless of whether the child is male or female? I think the parents are kinda wacko, and certainly this little game will end as soon as the child is old enough to interact with others outside the family, to learn about his/her body parts as a toddler, etc. Sending the message that gender is the problem is misrepresenting the truth.
    ...See More

Shesharee - DId you find your navy drapes??

Q

Comments (1)
    Hey! Me and baby are doing well! I did already buy curtains from JCP but thanks for thinking of me. That is a heck of a deal! I honestly didn't really think PB had really any sales! We bought a dresser tonight so I'll be back in a while with an update and asking for opinions.
    ...See More

Update: Nursery's complete

Q

Comments (52)
    Jenna - "I am very impatient when it comes to stuff like that." Oh my, me too! It was really hard waiting so long for the dresser. I wanted to get everything finished up and in place. Foxespad - Ha, thanks! Yeah, I really like foxes for some reason! Hobokenkitchen - Congratulations! Hey, who knows...maybe we'll give birth the same day. :) I hope you'll post some photos of your finished room. Thanks and good luck to you too!
    ...See More

Slightly OT: How to accesorize your kitchen

Q

Comments (24)
    momoftwinboyz (I'm a mom of b/g twins) the breeder is in Harrisville. Their website is www.caninecuties.com. This took quite a bit of research and when I read their website I just knew it was the place for us. It's a self sufficient non-certified organic farm and everything they said just jelled with our philosophies. It's kinda scary being totally responsible for such a little thing and for how her personality turns out. Dogs mature so much faster than kids - doesn't give you much room for error. Dh is out in the yard building her a potty tray. Poor little thing is so close to the ground that the wet grass in the morning is bothering her. She jumps on my feet and looks beseechingly up at me to pick her up before she even starts. Her potty tray will have under floor heating and pheromones built in so she knows where to go. It's the high end of high end potty trays. OMG - I've been on this site too long. Only kidding. It will be gravel and sand filled.
    ...See More
  • teacats
    12 years ago

Congratulations!!! :)

yes! lots of photos of the baby room! :)

• natal
    12 years ago

More congrats! I've been waiting for that nursery decorating thread. Hope the morning sickness abates soon.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

I hope the sickness goes away soon, but glad the baby is doing well!

• les917
    12 years ago

Congratulations to you and Mr. Shee! You are embarking on the most wonderful, exhausting, challenging and rewarding experience of your life.

Wishing you an easy time the rest of the way, and a comfortable labor and delivery.

One other thing - take advantage of the time before the baby comes to do some fun things, to spend some time alone with your DH, etc. Once the baby arrives, it will be all-baby, all the time, for a while.

Will we get to know in advance whether the baby is a boy or a girl?

• User
    12 years ago

*I have a feeling the spacing is going to be weird even though it looks ok in the preview...I apologize in advance.*

This is our first baby and we're very excited. I had found out I was pregnant at 8:00 in the morning and wasn't able to see DH until later. I actually cancelled plans that day and avoided everyone because I didn't want to give it away. I told DH as soon as he hit the front door. He was ecstatic but wasn't exactly "surprised" because I had been saying I was thought I was and then I had asked him to come home first before he went elsewhere that night.

My Mom's reaction was my favorite so I'll share that story. Her b-day was in a few days and we were going to wait but couldn't. I hand wrote this poem (found online) and put it in an envelope for her to open.

Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    Some is anxious to meet all of you.
    We know you've been waiting,
    Your wish has come true....
    A new baby is coming,
    In June we're due!

So we get there and she's in the middle of doing something in the kitchen and wanted to finish up first. A few minutes felt like freakin eternity. She opens it and starts what I call the "ugly cry" (you know, the one where you can't control it and scrunch the face all up) and says through the tears,"Are you serious?? I'm going to be a grandma...." I had always said I wanted kids but it was "someday" and I did go through a short phase where I wasn't sure anymore. I was very content with just DH and myself. DH has been ready for a few years and patiently waiting on me. So my Mom recently was saying things like,"If you decide you don't want any kids, that's ok. " Which I know it's ok but it was nice to hear and I never left on about how I "finally" had a desire to have a baby. My Dad was thrilled too and said he knew something was up because when we got there we just stood around awkwardly instead of taking a seat. Out of everyone though, Mom's reaction was the best. She's not usually one to show tons of excitment about something and she was all giddy and told me she felt like running laps. :) There are no grandkids yet on my side of the family.

So far though my pregnancy hasn't been what I had pictured it to be. I know a lot of women get sick but I just figured I'd be ok. It was cool for like first the two days because it wasn't that bad and it was one of those "signs of being pregnant". I had planned to continue running, eating super healthy all throughout, and not slowing down much. Well ha-ha on me.

I'll spare you details of being sick but it's been all day, every day. I have a new appreciation for being healthy. I've felt about 80% better the past few days and I'm thinking I'm on the home stretch of this part.

Figuring out what to eat has been a little rough. It seems I have to eat a little every few hours and I want nothing to do with anything I normally ate. It's been an adjustment.

I have a pretty good sense of smell to begin with so I thought it would be neat when super sniffer kicked in but so far I gag at most smells. For a few weeks I swear our house smelled like dry cat food! I could smell the bowls in the kitchen. People kept telling me it really didn't. I also hate the smell of my shampoo.

I'm excited to get a belly and of course start decorating a nursery. Les said,"will we be able to know in advance whether the baby is a boy or a girl?" Oh, you betcha. We can find out the sex beginning of Feb. I have gender specific ideas in mind for each and, in general, I like to plan the best I can.

I am definitely enjoying my me time still. I've been realizing this is our last Christmas with just "us" among a lot of other things. I'm finally ready for that new chapter though. :)

• User
    12 years ago

Congratulations!!!!!

How exciting!!!!!!!

Can't wait for the nursery decorating to begin.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Wow this is sooo exciting, one of our own is having a baby and we call all be the aunties lol. All I can say is "having a baby is like falling in love but better". It's the most thrilling experience. Can't wait to see that little dumpling. Sending loving thoughts for happiness and a calm stomach.

• Jamie
    12 years ago

Oh Shee, your long post is simply wonderful to read. Wonderful. Thank you for sharing. God bless you.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Have you gotten maternity clothes yet? I remember that was so much fun the first time.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shee, I knew I liked you for some reason. lol. You're just like my DIL. When they were pregnant the first time, we were at a family b-day party where the recipient got lots of gifts.

After the gift opening my DIL brought out a small gift bag to both sets of parents for us to open. When we opened them, lots of screams and crying started. We all got a pin that said "Grandma" or "Grandpa."

And I too did that "ugly" cry. :)

BTW, when are you due? June? At least it shouldn't be too hot where you live.

• User
    12 years ago

Congratulations Shee and Mr Shee! I am thrilled for your parents too. It is very special being grandparents. I personally just love it!

I think you were sensible and waited till you were really ready. It is the best way. I do hope your sickness is over with very soon and you can enjoy the rest of your pregancy.

Hugs,
    Dee in Aus.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

A grand adventure is about to begin.
    ~Winnie the Pooh

Congrats Shee!!

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

Oh how exciting! A new GW baby!! Congratulations mom & dad.

I was soooo sick with my first child. Everyone told me I just 'glowed', but I think it was because I was throwing up so much it was all sweat on my face. And boy, did I have the smell reaction too. Funny, nearly 30 years later, I STILL can't stand the smell of orange soda.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Congratulations! Hope you feel better soon.

• User
    12 years ago

Aw, thanks for all the warm wishes everyone.

Oakley - I'm due June 26th. It could be hot but should be anything too bad.

Something that is a bummer.... growing up my whole family would go on vacation to the beach for a week. We all loved it but haven't went in years. It didn't work out last summer due to work schedules but this year FOR SURE we were going to go. Well, May I'll be 8 months and I can't imagine that will be pleasant. We had wanted to go the beginning of Sept. but the baby will only be a little over 2 months old. 6+ months I'd be willing to try but I can't see taking a baby that small. :( SOoo.. everybody just needs to stay in good health for the following year.

Nancy - My SIL gave me some maternity clothes and I think they'll be good for the last trimester. A lot of my current clothes are fitting kind of funky. Right now I do have a belly (especially by the end of the day) but due to the baby's size, I know it's just bloat. I feel like I just look pudgey vs. pregnant.

Ha, Pesky my Dad just made the glowing comment to me the other week. I went,"Uh thanks, but I'm pretty sure it's because I haven't showered yet today." :)

I'd love to hear other pregnancy stories. Nothing too scary please!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Congratulations! I am so very happy for you. No scary stories here. Easy prgnancy and easy labor (used hypnotism!).

It will be a wonderful adventure, I am sure. One terrific piece of advice our pediatrician gave me was that the child will adjust to your schedule. I took my wee one everywhere from the start. If I wanted to do something, no worries. It may actually be easier when he/she is small, so don't rule out going to the shore just yet! :)

• whitdobe
    12 years ago

Wonderful news, I'm thrilled for you! Congratulations!!!!
    Oh...and I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with the baby's room. :-)

• polly929
    12 years ago

Congrats Shee! Now all that decorating you've been fretting over these past few years will now be dotted with brightly colored fisher price toys!! Welcome to the club ;)

My DS birthday is June 26th! We took DS on a beach vacation when he was 7 weeks, we went out on the beach early morning and I brought him back to the hotel room every day between 12 and 3 and took a nap! It was fantastic, especially since I was so sleep deprived at the time.

Best wishes to you. And heres a little tip in regards to morning sickness. Altoid citrus sours worked fantastic for me. I was on meds for "hyperemesis" with my first baby, and I found they helped keep nausea at bay. I was sick the entire 9 months with the first. The second was better it went away around the 20th week. And with #3, it was similar to #1, but a bit more tolerable and I didn't have to take meds. First 2 were girls, and they were relatively calm in the womb. Third was a boy, he never stopped moving from 15 weeks when I felt the first kicks, and 2 1/2 yrs. later, he's still going like the energizer bunny!

If you want to laugh about pregnancy stories, read "A Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy," it's hysterical, at least I thought it was.

• judiegal6
    12 years ago

Congratulations! So happy for you. Don't give up on the beach trip plans. Taking a 2 month old on vacation is probably the easiest time in their lives to travel.

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

That's great news, Shee!! I hope that the rest of the pregnancy goes perfectly. It sounds like your family is so excited!

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

S'ree, you must be overwhelmed with excitement~~congratulations to you and DH. Put all those projects on hold. ;o)

• flyingflower
    12 years ago

Congratulations! With my sister's pregnancies when she had intense morning sickness it was a girl, less morning sickness was a boy. I have told this to other women who say it wasn't the case for them but sometimes it is so we shall see!

• amj0517
    12 years ago

Congrats!

Every pregnancy is different, so don't let the "scary" stories get to you. For some reason everyone loves to share them.

I only had sickness with my second child, and one day it just stopped completely. I hope the same for you, and that that day is close!

• flyingflower
    12 years ago

"don't let the "scary" stories get to you. For some reason everyone loves to share them"
    No one is sharing SCARY stories here and women don't "love" scaring pregnant moms! Totally uncalled for negative comment.

• User
    12 years ago

Your Mom's reaction is a great story, what a wonderful way to start the new year. You know, they say when a woman experiences a lot of morning sickness its usually a girl. I had it from the minute of conception to the minute of birth and sure enough had a girl. Can't wait to hear about your nursery plans! How fun!

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Late to the party but still wishing you the best, congrats on your happy news.

I am one of 5 girls (with 1 brother)and my Mum said she didn't have one second of morning sickness in 6 pregnancies. She does like to remind us she spent over 54 months of her life pregnant, since we were all late.

flyingflower,
    Shee herself first brought up scary stories. I believe amj was just being supportive by saying don't let them worry you. I don't think it was a totally uncalled for negative comment.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shee, I think you're making the right choice by not going to the beach late in your pregnancy. Did you know that most women start to "nest" in their eighth month? Meaning that's when they really like staying home and deocorating and getting everything ready for Baby. You're going to have a ball doing it!

It's also good to stay in shape which you're doing. The first trimester makes you lose every ounce of energy you had. But after that you'll get it all back.

Today I saw a friend who had a baby 9 days ago. She was a walker before the baby and was in great shape. Today she was on a walk as if she'd never had a baby! She was walking fast, too. You're doing good!

• amysrq
    12 years ago

Wow, what wonderful news Shee. I was really wicked sick my first trimester, too. When the second started, I just rounded the corner and felt fine. You'll be okay. Just keep the ginger ale close by!

Best wishes to you and your DH and your folks. This is such a blessing for all of you.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

That story about your mom is so sweet! She sounds like such a supportive person!

I hear you on pregnancy plans. Every time I get pregnant, I think, "THIS time I'll ___" and I never do. I always forget how tired I am, sick, etc., but the good news is, you ALWAYS recover from it, and it's ALWAYS worth it! :)

If you want anyone to help cheer you on about labor, I will be your person! I actually look forward to labor. :) It is the most sacred time with your little one as they make their venture out into the world for the first time . . .and one last chance for it to be just the two of you together.

I would not necessarily put off the beach plans at 8 months. 8 months can still be pretty good. Sure, you might be uncomfortable, but you'll be uncomfortable at home anyway, so why not?

The only tough part about bringing a little one to the beach is protecting them from the sun-- sunscreen isn't recommended until 6 months. And then, there is the whole nursing thing. I can nurse just about anywhere but the beach isn't too easy for me . . .but you might be different! I agree with you about 6 months vs. 2. At 6+, they are just so much sturdier. At 2, they still have that sort of alien look!

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

Congratulations on the baby. Have you informed the cats they are going to have a new baby sister or brother?

• User
    12 years ago

I went to the beach at 8 months. Bought the most beautiful red strapless bathing suit end of season sale ..I looked hot...according to DH LOL. Only time I have ever had boobs was when I was pregnant :) Anyway it was wonderful and I felt great...I was HUGE...baby was DD and she was 9# 9 oz !!

Congratulations again ...I bet the all day sickness is over...have my fingers XX for you . You will love getting out there in the brisk air and get back to your exercise. c

• amj0517
    12 years ago

flyingflower (and Shee) - I wasn't implying that there were scary stories here. In fact, I think all the comments are very nice. It was more of a comment about things people might say in general. I wasn't clear in my earlier post. I'm sorry if it was taken the wrong way. Through my pregnancies it always felt like other moms wanted a gold star for surviving the longest labor, the most morning sickness, etc. It was tough to tune it out and just enjoy the pregnancy. You're right though; I shouldn't have even mentioned it. I'll drop the issue now so this happy thread doesn't take a nasty turn.

• User
    12 years ago

Polly - Ah yes, the sea of colorful plastic toys. :)
    Sick for the entire 9 months... I feel for you. I just can't even imagine. I was concerned I was headed toward the hyperemesis direction at one point because I had lost weight and was having a hard time eating/drinking. The Dr. gave me some meds for the nausea but I only took them a handful of times. Thankfully that must have been the worst.
    I'm going to try those Altoids and grab that book!

Everyone on both sides of the family sees us with girls and I keep telling DH the baby's a girl because of being sick. :) All the 'tests' out there say girl also. I know none of that really matters and personally believe God picks what you have, but I'd love to have at least one little girl. And of course the most important thing is a healthy baby.

Ha, gold star indeed! I do have some people constantly wanting to tell me about their horrible 36 hour labor! It doesn't bother me too much now because I'm trying not to think about the delivery part but towards the end I don't really want to start remembering their stories. I just keep reminding myself every birth is different.

Oakley - Before I was pregnant I didn't realize you had to wait quite so long to find out what the sex was. I was thinking month 3 for some reason. I couldn't figure out why right before a lot of births people were still doing stuff with the nursery. My goal is to have the room long done and sitting pretty. I'm hoping my nesting doesn't kick into super mode. Poor DH. ;)

Anele - Yaaaay! Someone that likes labor! I'm wishing you another good birthing story. Are you hoping the baby arrives before Christmas?

Hiwthi - Ha, I've been having talks with the kitties. I watched my 4 month old neice over the summer and their reactions were different than what I thought each would be. The skitzy little girl kitty was the most curious. The one boy just wanted to sprawl over the baby blankets and the other boy.... well, he was a jelly ellie as we call it (jealous). He follows me around and has a lot of my attention when I'm home. I'm sure they'll adjust ok but it might be interesting at first.

• natal
    12 years ago

Just don't tune in to One Born Every Minute on Lifetime. ;) OTOH, maybe a good idea for your dh to watch, so he'll have a better idea what to expect.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

congrats!! hope the rest of your pregnancy is healthy!
    i absolutely LOVED being pregnant! (except for the sciatica with #3... :)

• CaroleOH
    12 years ago

Congratulations Sheesharee, how very exciting for you and DH and your family.

I've always heard that sickness is a good sign when you are pregnant because it shows you have a healthy dose of pregnancy hormones raging through your system!

I never had morning sickness or all day sickness per se. I would just have to eat like NOW. If I was at work, and lunch time was approaching, I needed to eat as soon as I felt hungry or I got really nauseaus. My body was like it's time to eat!!

I have to agree with Natal on avoiding the One Born show....after giving birth naturally 3 times, it still can make me nervous and cringy when I watch that show.

Get the book "What to Expect When You're Expecting" Definitely the best book I ever read for pregnancy/baby questions. Also get "What to Expect the First Year" Another must have.

• carriem25
    12 years ago

Shee - I suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum when I was pregnant with my first. At my worst, I was throwing up 50-100 times every day. I was hospitalized twice with dehydration, and also suffered a raging UTI which can also be caused by dehydration. I was forced to stop working. I ended up taking a prescription medication for more than half of my pregnancy to keep the vomitting under control. I remember being thrilled my first day in the hospital after the delivery because I didn't wake up nauseated for the first time in 9 months :)

While it may sound like a horror story, it isn't. I had a beautiful, healthy 9lb 2oz baby girl, who is presently a beautiful, healthy, 5'10" 16 year old bilingual honor student. And even though pregnancy didn't seem to agree with me very well(even the second time), three years later I delivered a 9+lb beautiful baby boy - now a strapping 13 year old. They are the loves of my life and my greatest gifts, and I would happily go through it all again for them.

I wish you all the best (and try some B6 supplements to help with the nausea)!

Carrie

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

Shee, it will be important to let them smell everything that comes into the house for the baby, walk around the room, etc. They are very intelligent and as long as you make them a part of the happy occasion they will be fine. So many people dump their cats the minute a baby is born and that is so horrible for the cats and so unnecessary. I know you would never do that to your cats because they are such a big part of the family.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

shee, maybe someone mentioned it/you read it, but the one study I saw done re: morning sickness and gender was that women who were hospitalized due to hyperemesis gravidarum did tend to have girls. In my random talks with friends/family, morning sicknesses tended to be worse with girls. Can't wait until you find out!

One idea as you start to decorate . . .look at Etsy for Waldorf toys or places like Nova Natural (link below). I have nothing against plastic toys (not afraid of them and they have their place!) but there is something just so warming and lovely about the wood ones. When my youngest was a newborn and I saw those kinds of toys, I thought-- there is no way they'd ever be in the budget, but now I've come to understand that with toys, less is more. So, a few beautiful wooden and natural toys go a lot further than the ones that seem to break, need new batteries all the time, etc. Maybe you have family that makes these kinds of things, too . . .I don't, but it would be great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nova Natural

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

Wonderful News!! I had missed the other thread, but had noticed your absence and had wondered...
    so excited for you and your DH.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Congratulation Shee! Enjoy every minute of this pregnancy, it is a once in a lifetime event.

And regarding finding out the sex....really? You don't want a surprise? It was the most wonderful thing to find out when the baby is born. I'm not going to try to talk you into not finding out. But, consider having them write it down for you and put it in an envelope and seal it. This way you and your hubby can open it alone at home. It's such a big thing.

And keep in mind, I worked with a woman, who had the "best" ultrasound tech tell her the sex of her 3rd baby. She already had 2 boys. Let's just say that their 3rd "son" is named Emma. Even the pros can make a mistake!

Best wishes for a smooth an uneventful pregnancy!

Hugs,
    Bee

• polly929
    12 years ago

Just wanted to clarify, when we brought DS to the beach at 7 weeks, I didn't put sunscreen on him. We were under a pop up tent thing, and I had a special little pop up UV protected bed for him especially for the beach. We went to visit DH's best friend from college, and our older girls were 5 and 3, so the beach was fun for them as well. Because we were up and out on the beach by 7 (we are early risers, and DS was up at 5 then) it was so peaceful being on the beach with him and the family so early. He was colicky and I swear the sound of the waves soothed him. It was one of my favorite family vacations.

PS- I had a girl with my first pregnancy where I had the awful morning sickness. Second pregnancy I swore it was a boy, b/c I felt so much better and she was a girl. Third pregnancy rivaled the first with the nausea, and surprise....it was a BOY! You just never know.

And really, the nausea was awful, but once they handed me my baby, it was ALL worth it!! Enough for me to do it 2 more times!!!

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Shee,

Congrats! I am so happy for you and your hubby.
    I have been wondering about you,because you have not been on here as much as usual with decoration questions and I really was thinking that maybe you were starting your family. This is a very special time for you. I must say I loved being pregnant and then being a Mom. Nothing in the whole wide world is that good.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Congrats Shee!

With regard to learning the sex thing. I adamantly did not want to know. Something about not knowing was my saving grace to get thru labor & delivery. Being a huge non-doc person, DH was dreading the L&D with me. He was amazed and I received many complements from DH on my very collected behavior. I had no meds, so make sure you do pay attention to the breathing info when you go to your birthing classes if you do those. If not, buy a book on meditation and breathing. It isn't difficult and made the labor very tolerable with no meds.

When I was pregnant I had a strong feeling that I was having a girl. I was, but it wasn't confirmed by ultrasound, but rather by her arrival. My DM swore we knew but weren't telling anyone we were having a boy as I chose a paint color close to an ocean green/blue. She saw it as BLUE. lol

Enjoy your pregnancy as much as possible. I didn't have any of the sickness, so I can't speak to that. However, I was always hungry for meat? Protein, maybe? IDK, but thankfully I didn't have any morning sickness, just a bit of time early on in my pregnancy when I was completely exhausted. Slept alot in the first two months!

I can relate to your DM, as I've given my DM&DF their only grandchild. Big pressure before I was finally ready to take that step. Like you, I waited until I was ready. I wasn't ready until I was 30.

Keep us posted on your progress. Again, many congrats to you, your DH and family - especially your DM.

• les917
    12 years ago

Re: finding out the sex. We didn't with our first, tho I wanted to, because the times we had the ultrasounds he was positioned so that they couldn't tell. Everyone was convinced we were having a girl, and DH really was excited about the idea of a daughter, so much so that at the moment he was born, DH said "It's a girl" and the doc laughed and showed him and said "No, it's a BOY!" It was 4:07 AM, so I do have to cut DH a little slack. LOL

We knew early on with second DS, because I chose to have amnio as I was an older mom. i LOVED knowing - I felt even more connected with him throughout the pregnancy, and it eliminated 50% of the name-choosing issues.

As for no surprise? Hardly. Each child is an individual, and you still have no idea what they will look like. Well, not as much, because the ultrasounds today do give you a little sense of it. But I assure you that he was as much of a surprise - with strawberry blonde hair rather than dark, a different nose, and 2 POUNDS heavier than his brother before him - that there was just as much wonder and delight.

Besides, unless you had 'relations' with an alien, you can be pretty sure you are getting a boy or a girl - not that much of a surprise, eh? LOL

• User
    12 years ago

I was almost 25 when I had DD. I told them not to tell me if they could tell the sex during my many ultrasounds. I did not want to know. I was sure I was having a boy. Ha! NOT!

I was 40 when DS came along. I definitely wanted to know the sex. Way, way too old for surprises! And, I was sure I was having another girl. Um, wrong again!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love these finding out the sex stories. They didn't do ultra sounds back when I was pregnant in the stone age. lol.

But here's one pro to knowing early. When my DS1 & his wife announced they were pregnant both times, then found out the sex, they chose a name almost immediately because they'd been toying around with names since the beginning.

It was so much fun talking about "Henry" before he was born. We could not wait to meet Henry! Same with Elizabeth. By the time they came, we felt we knew them well and their names fit them perfectly.

As far as listening to "horror" stories, I'd listen just to be prepared. I did natural childbirth each time, and my only beef is they never told me it would hurt like he!!. And that's an understatement! lol. All the huffing and puffing the right way...forget it.

The second one was a breeze though. The only reason I say I wouldn't go to the beach at 8 months is since it's close to your due date (babies do come early!) I'd want to be close to my own doctor/hospital just in case.

If you want to induce labor, eat a banana split. It worked for me. :)

And check out Pottery Barn Kids for THE cutest baby stuff and great sales.

• User
    12 years ago

We have very basic cable so we don't get the channel with that show. I did search to see what it was about though. :)

Carrie - Oh bless you. I just can't imagine throwing up that many times...daily!

Hiwthi - Oh yeah, we'll let them sniff everything.
    "So many people dump their cats the minute a baby is born and that is so horrible for the cats and so unnecessary."
    I agree 100%. It absolutely grates on me to hear how people dump their animals because they're going to have a baby. I also will never let my kids (or anyone) ever hang all over or drag around our or anyone elses pets.

Anele - Thanks for the link! Those are some neat looking toys.

Bee - "You don't want a surprise?" No. Honestly there's nothing in me (or DH) that wants to wait to find out. I just can't bring myself to buy neutral stuff or decorate a neutral nursery. Maybe we will for #2. On the flip side, if they're wrong.... hooo boy! Won't that be something.

Work - I got a chuckle out of the nursery color. Did everyone then start buying you boy clothing?

Les - You mentioned about not knowing what they'll look like... I'm sooo excited to see what the baby looks like. Either gender, will it look more like me or DH? A combo? I think it would be so neat to see a little minnie me or DH walking around. :)

Oakley - Ha, I'm just the opposite. I look at a newborn baby and think where it comes from and know it's going to hurt more than I can imagine. *cringe* It's amazing to me that our bodies can do all that. I just have to keep telling myself people have babies every day and have been doing it for years and years.... :)

We're scheduled to find out the sex Feb. 1st so I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again everyone for the warm wishes. I've really enjoyed reading through all these stories.