SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Update: Nursery's complete

User
11 years ago

Hi everyone!

I haven't been around much but wanted to share finished photos of the nursery as promised. The only thing left to do is install the (orb and wood) ceiling fan.

*Since this is a tada thread, I am going to ask that you please refrain from any well meaning safety advice. Please know that things are bolted and fastened well. We won't be using anything in or on the crib when it's in use and there will be changes that need made as the baby grows and we will adjust accordingly.

I'm going to blabber about the details for a bit since some have followed along and things changed. The photos are below if you want to skip this part. :)

I had a lot of creative ideas that didn't come to pass with this room because somewhere in my pregnancy, to my surprise, I ran out motivation. We wanted a room that would grow with our son for several reasons. We also created a budget from the start and I'm happy to say I stayed within the limits.

I had planned to draw all the art but everything ended up either too babyish or adult and I couldn't find a happy medium. I did draw one small photo of a fox and it's on the bookcase.

I was going to make a mobile but decided to scratch the idea for different reasons but I also didn't want to put a hole in the ceiling.

I got the moulding idea from Thriftydecorchic's blog and flipped the design to work on our wall. What appears to be knobs are actually leather buttons I glued to push pins (didn't want large hardware holes from cabinet type knobs) and the ribbon/hanger is actually just for show as the picture frames themselves are attached to the wall. Some of you may remember the animal art I was considering but I didn't like that the background was plain white instead of trees, etc. All three of the art pictures I got for free from SprikSpace.com and had them printed to size.

The found the jute webbing growth chart idea online and I'm really happy I made that instead of the oversize growth rulers that are popular.

I bought the sheets and made everything that's plaid except the changing pad cover, which my local seamstress made.

I had talked about making a few pillows and a blanket just for pretty visual layering but decided it would've been too short lived and a waste. I also was going to go with an owl on the front of the chair pillow but the deer silhouette, honestly, was easier. LOL. Are we seeing a pattern here? : )

The large frame was actually one of the mirrors for our dresser that we're not using. I took the guts out and added the jute. Now that it's finished, I think I'd prefer it with another line and may change it eventually.

I know some aren't going to like the deer horns and that's ok. If it makes anyone feel better we found a whole deer skull in the woods and had it made into wall mount. I honestly would'e preferred the horns attached to the wall for a more rustic look but DH requested it be attached to a back plate.

The dresser was from CL and the top was wrecked when we bought it. It looked like someone dumped it upside down and pulled it over large rocks but I had a vision and hope that we could fix it! It took three attempts to get the top the way it is now but I'm happy with it. I painted the dresser BM Heritage Red and I do like the color even though I originally pictured something a bit deeper. I did some light glazing but liked it without as well. I left DH decide on the glaze and it turns out he originally thought glaze was the same as distress. Oops. : ) I would've liked to do fun animals for the hardware but again, was trying to stay in budget. I had mentioned the dresser had a perfumey/powder smell and I tried a bunch of things to remove it. I was all ready to bust out shellac or poly (yes, outside with a respirator) for the inside, but I decided to test out an item in a drawer for a few days to see if the smell transferred and, to my surprise, it didn't. The clothes are in there and don't smell so that's awesome and I'm assuming what's left of the original smell will eventually disappear completely.

-The curtains are lined cotton twill.

-Wall color is BM Manchester Tan and the trim is a stock white.

-Crib is Graco.

-Rocker came from CL.

-I bought the stool years ago from a local thrift store with the intention of giving it a makeover. I think it's kind of ugly yet I like it and the leather adds a different texture.

-The tablecloth is actually a cut down version of larger one I had made for the LR. Remember how I mentioned the lack of motivation? Pregnant Shee didn't bother to change out the thread to match. Oh, the horror! :)

- We replaced the backing of the bookcase with bead board paneling and painted it the wall color.

-Most of the books were mine as a kid, my parents read to me all the time and I'm really looking forward to doing the same.

-I made the baseball bookends with 4x4 tiles that I glued, spackled, and painted.

-My pap made the Coke plane.

I would've liked to add a rug but we were out of the budget money and I decided to scratch the idea since we don't need it.

We added an additional shelf to the closet that was originally in the laundry room before we added the cabinets, and it really makes things nice for extra storage.

I think that's it! Like I said, I had other plans for this room and it's not what I originally pictured but we're happy with it and are excited for our baby to arrive in a few weeks.

Thanks for your help along the way!

I don't have a wide angle lens so some of the photos show the color more accurately than others because of using two different cameras.

Dresser before

{{gwi:1655534}}

{{gwi:1655535}}

{{gwi:1736984}}

{{gwi:1736985}}

{{gwi:1736987}}

{{gwi:1736989}}

{{gwi:1736990}}

Shows better colors.

{{gwi:1736992}}

{{gwi:1736995}}

{{gwi:1736997}}

{{gwi:1736999}}

{{gwi:1737001}}

Comments (52)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!