SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goddi_gw

Trane - cost comparison-questions...

goddi
15 years ago

After getting quotes from 8 contractors, I have narrowed my choice down to 2. The equipment for both is basically the same but I have a few questions. The equipment is the Trane 15i 5 ton A/C and the XV80 80% 2-stage 120KBTU gas furnace. Coil and condensor models are the same.

1st difference: Contractor A includes the Honeywell VP 8000 while Contractor B uses the Trane 802 T-stat. Any big difference?

2nd difference: Contractor B, as he was writing the quote, was surprised to see that the 120KBTU furnace had an asterick next to it that said it requires dual returns. No other contractor has mentioned this requirement. He said he will check on this Trane requirement. Don't know yet if a second return can physically be added to my current system. Does this make sense??? (So if true, more costs.)

3rd difference: He includes the Trane extended warranty for labor for 8 additional years, i.e., P&L 10 years, at no additional cost.

The bottom line is Contractor B is $428 more than Contractor A.

So basically, I am paying $428 for the extended warrant. Is Contractor B worth going with just to get the Extended Warranty???

Thanks, Gary

Comments (8)