SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolinamomof2

Comparisons of Brands-Lennox, Trane, Carrier, York, Bryant

carolinamomof2
17 years ago

Hello, I'm a newly single mom of two toddlers and I am feeling a little nervous about being pushed to get a new system for my house. The system is less than 7 years old (I've been in the house for 1 1/2 years-house was built in May 2000). It has a large folder of problems over the years. In fact, the previous owner has had it replaced piece by piece. The house is a two story with a large open area over the stairs. I live in South Carolina (Charleston to be exact) it is very humid and hot in summer and moderately cold most of the time in the winter (recently down to 20 for couple nights).

I have a estimate to replace the air handler and outside unit with a trane (4 ton, 13 seer) for $11,000. I have had heat working on and off for the past 2 days (4 times in 2 days, and they still can't figure it out), had the company out here, but today they told me that if it was working when they got here today, I would be charged another $95.00 fee (it works for an hour then stops and after I turn it off for about 1/2 or so, it heats when it is turned back on).

What is the general opinion on this type of treatment (especially knowning that they were being considered for a complete unit replacement of $11,000) and also what is the general opinion as to the large makers - Trane, Carrier, Heil, Lennox, Bryant, York. I am limited to funds and really am feeling pushed and just generally laughed at.

HELP!

Thanks!

CarolinaMomof2

Comments (21)