SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerrod6

New Miele Large Dryer T98XX

jerrod6
17 years ago

I am in the market for a new gas dryer and am considering the new Miele large model T9820 which is due to be released. I remember reading posts about the T9800 which is electric. There were issues with air noise or something like that.

Does anyone have any more info about this, and if you currently have the electric model what are your thoughts?

Comments (40)

• perel
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's a high-airflow dryer. Better for your clothes, since less heat is needed, but can be loud if your ductwork is marginal. I have a very short duct run (the dryer is directly against an outside wall) and the noise is not bothersome at all.

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I checked my current dryer. It is against the outside wall and the run seems to be 30 feet (most of it outside stretched pass the central Air unit so it doesn't suck up lint) until the flap. It has 4 inch diameter metal vent pipe. Do you think this would be OK?

So do you have any other issues with the dryer? Do you like it? Is it fast? How is it with loads of thick cotton?

• Related Discussions

Miele - Washer & Dryer - Stacking ideas? - W4840

Q

Comments (6)
    Are you fairly tall? If not, go to a store and make believe your removing clothing from a stacked large capacity dryer (e.g. LE, Kenmore HE, Duet, etc). These machines are all roughly the same size as the Miele pair. It won't get any easier than this as you'll be raising the dryer a couple of more inches. I tried this and found access to the back of the drying drum was on the edge of acceptability before raising it on a shelf. The position of the dryer controls didn't bother me as I would have paired the W4840 with the LG FL dryer with adaptable controls.
    ...See More

Miele advice. Will Miele splitter work with Non-Miele dryer?

Q

Comments (2)
    Don't have the specs handy, but i'm all but sure the Miele splitters allow up to 240V/15A to each of the two outlets before an independent circuit breaker trips. Many 24" or 60cm wide electric dryers draw less than 15A or 12A even though they may be fitted with thick AWG10 wiring and plugs designed to fit common North American 240v dryer outlets. If your dryer's placard says it draws less than 12A at 240V, it should work with the spare Miele adapter outlet if the plug is properly adapted. (Some 240v/30a dryers had a low setting that doesn't draw over 15A; not sure if there are any still made that way. A large American-style (27" to 30"w ) electric dryer runs on 208/240V/30A and won't get enough juice from the Miele outlets. If you were willing to run one at a time, you could unplug the splitter panel/Miele washer and plug the dryer into the 30A wall outlet when you're done washing. Be careful with that mix of high voltage, high amperage, and ambient water though, won't ya?
    ...See More

Buying a old *New* Miele Washer/ Dryer

Q

Comments (10)
    "Design is not limited to fancy new gadgets. Our family just bought a new washing machine and dryer. We didn't have a very good one so we spent a little time looking at them. It turns out that the Americans make washers and dryers all wrong. The Europeans make them much better but they take twice as long to do clothes! It turns out that they wash them with about a quarter as much water and your clothes end up with a lot less detergent on them. Most important, they don't trash your clothes. They use a lot less soap, a lot less water, but they come out much cleaner, much softer, and they last a lot longer. We spent some time in our family talking about what's the trade-off we want to make. We ended up talking a lot about design, but also about the values of our family. Did we care most about getting our wash done in an hour versus an hour and a half? Or did we care most about our clothes feeling really soft and lasting longer? Did we care about using a quarter of the water? We spent about two weeks talking about this every night at the dinner table. We'd get around to that old washer-dryer discussion. And the talk was about design. We ended up opting for these Miele appliances, made in Germany. They're too expensive, but that's just because nobody buys them in this country. They are really wonderfully made and one of the few products we've bought over the last few years that we're all really happy about. These guys really thought the process through. They did such a great job designing these washers and dryers. I got more thrill out of them than I have out of any piece of high tech in years." - Steve Jobs, 1996, on his then-new Miele W1918. I don't know about you, but whether you're an Apple fanboy or an Apple hater, when the guy who brought forth the iPhone and iPad is more blown away by a *laundry appliance* than any recent gadget, that's quite an endorsement. More here (I also wonder how many other Fortune 500 CEOs do their own laundry). I have a W1926, which was introduced to the US a year later and is essentially a W1918 that's 4" deeper inside and out, mitigating some of the capacity issues. It's awesome.
    ...See More

Some more "new" Miele T1415 dryer pics

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks Mama and Donna. OMG Donna, it does look like a dog. Ha ha ha! It is 2 big bath towels, 4 hand towels and 2 wash cloths. @ Whirlpool_trainee....I have not replaced my wonderfully big & fast American/Swedish/Mexican ;) Electrolux (or at least not yet....LOL). I just could not, not buy this brand new, old stock T1415 Miele dryer. I had to have it! So far I have dried big bath towels, a huge load of whites and a very large load of athletic clothes (I kept the loads the same size, as I would have in my Electrolux 8 cu. ft. dryer)....and the big bath towels only took maybe 5-7 mins. longer using the Miele. The whites maybe took 2-3 mins longer and the athletic clothing dried in roughly 27 mins (as fast, if not faster than the Electrolux). This "small" T1415 dryer is almost keeping up with the Electrolux! Of course the Elux has more settings, more temp. options and more end of load options...but the materials and apparent build quality on this Miele is insane good!!!
    ...See More
  • perel
    17 years ago

30 feet of rigid pipe with a few elbows is within spec, though more than twice what I have so I don't know what the noise would be like. The user's manual has detailed specs of exactly how many elbows, etc.. if it's rigid metal pipe you should be fine. Definitely clean it out COMPLETELY before having the new dryer installed, though.. Most of the noise complaints are partially clogged vents, flexible ducting, and/or long vent runs.

I think that most of the noise problems are people who aren't using the rigid ducting. My guess is that you'll be fine; perhaps someone else will chime in with more direct experience. Also, Miele is supposedly going to be introducing a 'fix' for this that throttles the airflow as needed.. though that will reduce performance. Best to put up with the noise.

I am very satisfied with this dryer in all respects. It dries FAST, much faster than my old dryer - and yes, I had thoroughly cleaned the old dryer and ensured that it was getting power on both legs, and I had it paired with the W4840 as well. It doesn't get the clothes as hot, so they don't 'bake' - no more scorched lint smell when I open the dryer. It balks when the lint filter clogs, which is great for some people in my house who can never remember to clean it..

I have yet to find a load that this dryer can't easily handle, especially coming from the W4840. I dry most loads on Gentle and they still complete quickly. The only weird thing is that Woolens only dries to damp; apparently this is intentional and prepares them to be laid flat to finish drying. I dry most woolen stuff on Delicates/Gentle and have no shrinkage problems.

The moisture sensor works great. It's literally just push the "Normal" button, set "Gentle" on because I might as well, push "Start", and walk away. It's dried everything from full loads of towels to wool/silk delicates to heavy winter coats with no problems yet.

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This sounds good. I currently have the 6K Miele washer with an old Whilrpool larger gas dryer rated at 5.9 cu, so I am thinking that the 6K load will work OK in this larger dryer. Although if I actually load up the 6K completely full it will clean all of clohtes perfectly but the load must be split up to go into the dryer for it to dry correctly. This sounds "Off" but that's the way it currently is.

Because it is gas I am going to have my HVAC person(the company that does my gas heater and central air seasonal check-up) replace the current duct with brand new solid duct so that I am starting out with fresh clean duct.

Everything will be in the basement so I don't care too much about noise but I was concerned that it might be caused by something that was not designed correctly or that was done incorrect. So you don't think this is the case then?

• crooks101
    17 years ago

I just ordered today a W4800 washer, but still on fence about dryer. I am very interested in the T9800, but the noise issue is a concern. I did call Miele technical support today and asked about the "fix." They were not aware of any. But did say the dryer did have about 25% more airflow. To him, it seemed a feature that they would not want to reduce.

I found a Samsung 7.3 CF,SS drum on clearance for $536. It is on hold at Lowews while thinking. I am just wondering if I should just go with the Samsung.

As much as I would like to get a match set and it is a nice dryer, the Miele is a lot more cost. And the Miele is a no return item. It I hated the noise, I would be stuck with it.

• perel
    17 years ago

No, the dryer is wonderful. Miele's engineers were just a bit too optimistic about people actually following the installation instructions. I tend to think that they would have gone the route of the GE Harmony (separate ECM motor for the blower) if they had realized.. that would have driven the price significantly higher though. (The 9800 is about the same price as the Harmony and has MUCH higher build quality.)

• gordonr
    17 years ago

perel,

I agree with you that the Miele dryer should have had an ECM motor. It not only makes for a more problem free installation, but it should do a better job of drying given that it takes duct work (within reason) out of the equation.

I'd be a bit stronger on this matter and suggest a customer should expect great things from a VERY expensive dryer like the Miele and this type of technology should be a given in this price class.

Maybe it's a matter of perspective, but I don't view them as about the same price given the $400 price spread between the machines. No doubt the Miele is built better than the GE, but most any dryer would find drying a load spun out of a Miele W4840 (about 600 g-force @ 1400 rpm) to be a relatively easy task compared to a similar sized load out of an old-fashion TLer. Even with lousy venting, our 14 year old (relatively inexpensive) Maytag dryer always made quick work out of laundry coming from our old Asko (also operated at about 600 g-force).

• crooks101
    17 years ago

I went ahead and ordered the T9800 over the Samsung closeout at Lowes.

I tossed and turned over this one. For the most part a dryer is a dryer and with a 1400 RPM washer you don't need much. Even my 1100 RPM on the older Bosch is quite good.

However, what finally pushed me over was not the 20 years design life, the honeycomb drum, the matched W/D set or the great build quality, but the below statement. It is probably just marketing BS, but if true, I will be happy with the lighter pocket. THe key point is less ironing.

"Supporting the electronics is a new, ground
    breaking innovation in the lint filtering system. Mieles
    new aerodynamic filter technology, debuting on the super
    large capacity units, aids overall drying consistency and
    reduces the total dry time by keeping a continuous airflow.
    The result is unparalleled laundry care with more
    uniform drying and significantly reduced creasingÂ
    requiring less ironing."

• gordonr
    17 years ago

The "aerodynamic filter technology" has been mentioned before. If you can figure out what it's really about please post as Miele info doesn't describe it in any detail.

At some level it sounds like a method to keep lint from plugging up the lint filter screen which would shorten drying time. Doesn't the TL dryer from F&P have something which automatically cleans the filter screen and lets the lint collect in a bucket? Although unlikely in actual implementation, the Miele description sounds more like a filter system similar to a Dyson vacuum cleaner. The picture in the Miele manual makes the actual filter screen look curved. If so, maybe the curved screen makes lint more likely to accumulate in a particular area, but still allow lots of unplugged screen for air to flow through. In our "flat" screen the lint is evenly deposited across the entire filter surface. Can anyone with a T98XX say if it's even, or if the lint bunches up in one part of the screen leaving the rest fairly open?

• perel
    17 years ago

Yep. I've yet to see the entire screen fill up. There's a small amount of lint accumulation at the very top, then most of the filter is clear, and the lint is almost all at the bottom. This is especially noticeable when drying pet blankets, etc, where there's a LOT of hair to get caught in the lint filter.

I hadn't realized the price gap with the GE was $400. With that big a gap, I am very disappointed that the dryer doesn't have an ECM motor.. ah well, at least my vent run isn't a problem anyway. It would be VERY nice to have the 'anti-crease' mode not run the blower, though.. and on reverse tumble the single-motor design makes the sound change between forward and reverse. Not a big deal, but it does draw my attention back to the noise and makes it a bit harder to completely tune out.

I don't think Miele really redesigned most of their dryer yet. Note that the dryer has an old-fashioned incandescent drum light, while they used an LED for the washer. Miele probably will do a dryer redesign at some point, and I expect that they will go to ECM at that time. And they'll probably actually *use* the full capabilities that gives them too, rather than just using it to overcome marginal ducting like the Harmony does.

• gordonr
    17 years ago

perel,

Thanks for the observations on your Miele T98XX lint filter. I bet ya that curved lint filter design is the heart of their "aerodynamic filter technology". Although Miele marketing pumped up the techno-terminology on this a wee bit, you gotta like simple cheap solutions that solve a problem.

With regard to the use of an ECM motor in the GE Harmony, it's not entirely clear to me they only use this motor to manage varying venting scenarios. I've been eyeing this dryer to pair with a Miele W4840, and once sent an email to GE asking them about the ECM motor in their dryer. Their response seems to suggest the ECM motor speed changes based on duct conditions (and I assume lint filter loading) as well as drying temperatures. Here is a portion of their response...

(email from GE)
    ------------------------------------------
    The GE Profile Harmony DuoDry system employs two motors:

Dedicated blower motor at 1/8 HP

Dedicated drum motor at 1/3 HP

This results in an even, consistent rotation of the drum at approximately 47 to 50 RPM.

The GE Profile Harmony dryer employs two motors, two thermistors, two moisture sensors and variable heater to give you excellent drying performance. Dual Motors, one dedicated to the drum; the other to the blower fan.

The addition of a dedicated blower motor enables the dryer to alter fan speed whenever necessary to optimize air flow or CFM. This capability greatly increases drying performance, efficiency and support longer duct lengths up to 150 equivalent feet.

The blower motor is a DC, variable-speed motor capable of operating at different speeds in response to changing air temperature and venting impedances. It can speed up push harder to move air through poor ducting. The blower motor maintains optimal air flow or CFM, and that's a key factor in the drying process.

The drum motor is an AC motor with 1/3 horsepower.

A Variable Heater, capable of variable heat output - quickly and with great accuracy. Because the heater provider varying amounts of heat, it is referred to as variable heater. Harmony's variable (or linear) heater is located at the base of the dryer. Its voltage regulation feature allows the system to be rated at 6000 watts.

Harmony's Dual Thermistors monitor incoming air temperature as well the air temperature leaving the dryer drum. The two sensors work together to provide consistent, even heat.

Dual-electronic Sensor Bars, located on the inside front wall of the dryer, monitor fabric for the moisture content and signal the dryer's control center when clothes are at the desired moisture level.

The CFM rating with no restrictions, no vent cap or duct attached is approximately 150 CFM's. CFM's at the maximum vent condition specified in the installation instructions is approximately 120 CFM's.

• gnarly
    17 years ago

I just got a 9820 installed, and I'm not happy with the noise. There is a loud "whoosing" as people have reported - mine is uneven sounding. Also there is a background rattling noise despite only having towels in the drum. The sound does carry.

Regarding venting, I have a short length of semi-rigid alu vent tubing that does an S curve to get to the wall vent (there is no choice of outlet position on the Miele dryer so most people will need this), and the rest of the venting is rigid metal ductwork through the cavity between the walls. There are a few (?3) changes of direction but it is all inside the walls.

Funnily enough Miele called me 2 days ago to ask my opinion of the products, before I had installed the dryer. I said nice things about the washer, but I am going to complain about the dryer noise... it definitely isn't what you'd expect from a high end brand for the price they are charging.

The gas heat does work well, though it doesn't ignite for a minute or more into the cycle.

On the subj of the the LED vs. incandescent light drum light, Miele engineers are probably correct to use incandenscent, since power LED's chip temperature must be kept down with good heatsinking.

• crooks101
    17 years ago

I was having a hard time finding the T98xx size in CF. Per the Miele Canada site it is 6.36 CF.

Check out this washer Miele video link for W4840. Cool video, but it is not a BMW, just a washing machine. Fun to watch, however. And must have cost small fortune.

http://www.miele.ca/miele/canada/lndry_home.asp

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

gnarly do you know the diameter and length of the piping in the walls and do you know what type of curves are involved? I am asking because the installation manual has one calculating the pipe diameter based on the number of turns the pipe is making and the angle degree of the turns, then you need to add additional feet to the actual run length based on these factors and perhaps adjust the pipe diameter.

• perel
    17 years ago

gordonr - I looked up the service manual for the Harmony and it appears to indicate that the ECM motor keeps the CFM constant, regardless of static pressure. A clogged lint filter increases static pressure, as does longer/more restrictive ducting, so it is 'adjusting to conditions'. To the dryer, there is *no difference* between a clogged lint filter and a clogged duct.. it's still a clog.

GE's response is confusing. My take is that it's a marketing spin on a more basic use of dual-motor, and that they could have done more with it than they did.

• gordonr
    17 years ago

perel,

Thanks for checking into GE statements. Just curious...

What additional functions do you believe the ECM motor should be programmed to do? Especially with a variable heater, might it make sense to ramp CFM as a function of the degree of dryness? As you approach the finished moisture content in the clothing you could lower the CFM somewhat while still having enough air velocity to carry non-trapped lint to the outside. This would probably increase drying times slightly, but serve to lessen the amount of conditioned air from within the house that is ejected outside.

Do you have insight as to whether Whirlpool/Sears did anything else with their dual motor design (highest end of the Oasis line)? Other than having incredible venting distance, haven't heard anything else about this machine.

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I ordered the T9820 yesterday so it may be installed this week. I paid about $190 more than for the Whirpool gas dyer. I currently have an older Whirpool and it would have been my next choice but the build of it feels very thin and I honestly don't like the looks of it plus Whirlpool is now making way too many brands for my taste and I honestly don't trust them anymore. I guess I will see what happens soon enough!

• crooks101
    17 years ago

I took delivery today on the W4800 and T9800. The washer was made in Germany, but the dryer was made in Czech Republic.

The Mile brochure said they were made in Germany. Should I be concerned? Parts/assemble quality? Frankly, a little disappointed and feel misled by Mile. Why make a point of made in Germany and not deliver the goods.

Guess I could complain and make a stink. And if they balk, reverse charges on the CC using the printed Mile brochure as my proof point. But it is worth it? Nikon makes their lower end cameras and lens outside of Japan.

But then they don't claim to make them in Japan either.

• charlyinfl
    17 years ago

Quite ironic & interesting; Jerrod states "Whirlpool is now making way too many brands for my taste and I honestly don't trust them anymore"

Crooks says "I took delivery today on the W4800 and T9800. The washer was made in Germany, but the dryer was made in Czech Republic.
    The Mile brochure said they were made in Germany. Should I be concerned? Parts/assemble quality? Frankly, a little disappointed and feel misled by Mile. Why make a point of made in Germany and not deliver the goods"

Who is to be trusted? What did Whirlpool do wrong?

Getting back to the dryer, after having owned a Kenmore-whirlpool front load washer & electric dryer for 5 years now, we realize that a plain sensor control dryer would be more than adequate. The washer spins away so much moisture, that the dryer has little work to do. It is finished in no time with all loads! Our matched set looks and performs great, but I think the reality is, one could save a lot of money with a lesser super sized dryer if a matched pair was not required.

C

• aquarius2101
    17 years ago

Commercial Miele machines are made in the Czech Republic, so I wouldn't be worried about any quality issues... Miele aren't the sort of company to sell inferior products after all :-).

• crooks101
    17 years ago

The local authorized Miele dealer, Kitchen Designs in Colorado, basically said it was not their problem. More or less- go pound sand.

Miele customer service did return my call with a voice mail from Carl basically saying it was the same quality- don't worry. And he just left the general 800 sales number, so I could go chase my tail again with Miele customer service. Sent one more email to Miiele asking for remedy. Still waiting for response.

Not sure what action, I will take. Currently will make a good faith effort to resolve, give them some reasonable time to remedy and then ,if I desire, I can dispute with CC and present the Miele sales brochure as evidence using page 13 with the misstated fact. It would be hard to lose. Their lack of contacting me directly leave a very good trail of best effort. Legal, BBB and state consumer affairs are other options, if needed.

Just getting blown off first by the authorized dealer and now Miele is not making me a happy Miele customer. If it was not important where it was manufactured, just leave it out. It was their claim- not mine. Miele should not use is a sales ploy. Miele can't play it both ways to their sales advantage at the expense of the poor consumer.

I was expecting a lot more from Miele. Period. I thought they stood above the others. Perhaps all this is a small point, but if you look at my post above I was strongly considering just going with the Samsung dryer. This was one of the points that edged me over to Miele. Hindsight, perhaps a major blunder by not going with the cheaper Korean dryer.

• crooks101
    17 years ago

Oh, the T9800 is quite loud. Lots of blower noise. And either the dryer rattles or one can hear the clothes slapping on the steel drum. Not a freight train, but you know it is running.

Don't know for sure, since I had to leave town almost as soon as I got it. The dealer mis-scheduled the delivery time. This was after they confirmed time by email. So just just more gas to the fire of a unhappy customer. And the contracted delivery guys tried to leave the washer and dryer totally unpacked on wooden crates in my laundry room. I did ask for installation, but did not expect a drop ship only to laundry room.

Perhaps not a Germany vs Chech thing. But one does wonder- now. And the local authorized dealer is not doing Miele any favors either.

• crooks101
    17 years ago

Actually, I did NOT ask for installation, but did not expect a drop ship only to laundry room as shipped from distributor with all shipping plastic, wood, foam, etc. to be left at my home either.

In other words, I was expecting the W/D to be delivered in laundry room, but I would do vent, water, power and leveling myself. The usual expectation of a NOT doing asking for the "installation."

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What type and diameter size venting are you using and how long is the run to the outside?

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What part on the dryer contains the country where it was made? What location on the dryer can this be found?

• gnarly
    17 years ago

Hi Crooks101,

I notice you say your dryer rattles. I also get that and an an uneven whoosing (in fact the amount of air coming out of the vent varies too). Even without clothes in there, so it isn't anything to do with the drum being loaded up.

Strangely, I have noticed mine sounds absolutely fine when it rotates anticlockwise, which it just does occasionally, and during the cool down phase. The air is also blowing then, but it is smooth and uniform.

Does anyone else get this uneven whoosing? Sorry I can't describe it better. I am starting to wonder if it might be faulty... I really hope that is not how they are supposed to sound.

jerrod6 - I can't see the country of manufacture on any of the stickers - they are clearly trying to hide it. But, I care about the noise and not the country of manufacture!!!

• koomond
    17 years ago

Strange! I live in Canada and just had the W4840 and T9800 delivered a month ago. Both items are made in Germany.

AFAIK, this large capacity set is targeted to NA market and why does the dryer made in different places?

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My gas dyer was installed yesterday. I did one load of thick towels. Sunday is wash day so it will get used for several loads all day.

The uneven air flow. Yes I have noticed this and on the outside too. I also noticed this on my previous dryer but it is probably more noticeable on this one because there is an increased air flow, so I don't think your particular unit is faulty. I also checked the air exhaust vent outside during the reverse tumble. Yes it seemed smoother but it is also blowing out slower.

The sales person(actually the Miele territory manager who I talked with this week before the dryer was delivered) said that this dryer would move a lot more air and so needed to be vented properly preferably with rigid piping. I can hear the air at the back of the unit inside the house, but there are no thumbing or knocking sounds.

I went out side to feel the air at the exhaust vent. It is blowing out faster and is cooler than the previous model, but the towels dried faster than my older unit. The older unit had an input of 22,000 BTU's this new one is 19,000 BTU.

On thing I did notice while outside. I had previously added a 3 ft piece of metal flex hose to extend the pipe run well out past the Central Air unit. This flex pipe is just stuck on to the rigid and is laying down unsecured. While the dryer was running this flexible piece was moving around and if it was next to anything it would have been knocking. My thought is that if you are using flexible metal pipe and it is not secured tightly for the entire run, then this pipe is going to move and you are going to get thumping or a hitting sound.

Anyway I will get a chance to say more after laundry on Sunday.

• varenovator
    16 years ago

Are the new, bigger Miele's stackable? From the looks of them (the slanted control panel at the top), I'm guessing no. Does anyone know for sure?

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My dryer is not on a pedestal and it is about 40 inches tall. If you tried to stack them you would need to climb up to the ceiling to get to one of them. No not stackable.

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Crooks101

I read your post and you mention that you will give Miele some time to resolve. I see that you are concerned about the dryer not being made in Germany although it is designed and made by Miele just not in Germany but in the Miele plant that makes commerical washers and dryers, but what is the issue you want resolved and what outcome will please you?

I went with Miele products because of their lifetime design intent - the 15 to 20 years design life. which is much better than the current 5 to 7 year lifetime I keep hearing about for appliances. I don't want to replace anything every 5 or 7 years. I have other M appliances that have been trouble free for as much as 10 years. I did not go with Whirlpool even though I had a WP dryer because the build of their current models seems to be weak and not made as well as my older dryer, plus my experience with my last top of the line KitchenAid washer that had 5 repairs in 4 years and ended up to be a piece of trash, and finally I did not trust whirlpool because they now make several other brands so have no real competition.

I have been thinking about the made in Germany phrase and wondering what I have been taking this to really mean. What do I want from this?

It is made in Germany by pure blooded Germans?
    It is made in Germany so the design and quality will be good?
    Can it be designed and made by a German company in their factory in another country?

Can it be made in Germany with imigrant workers from other countries who live and work in Germany and will it still be as good?

What difference will result if it is designed in Germany but still made by the same company located in an adjacent country?

So What does this really mean for me?

Sunday/Monday was wash day and so far 8 or 9 loads have been completed.

The heavy cotton towel load took about 45 minutes on the turbo extra dry setting. The normal without turbo setting does very well with most cottons and the t shirts that I wear as outter shirts and my polo shirts come out without wrinkles--I like this.

I have a few perm press items. These came out great on the delicates setting. All loads have been completed within 20 to 25 minutes( of course the washer is still doing the next load) except the load of heavy cotton towels.

Where is the lint? In my other dryer there was a lot of lint. There is some lint from this one but nothing near the amount the older one was creating.

There is definitately more air moving and more air sound. My laundry is in the basement so sound is not too much of a concern but after runing a few loads it is not as noticeable when I am in the laundry area. Not sure but perhaps this large volume of air might have something to do with the ability to use lower heat and keep the clothes from wrinkleing as much. The air flucuation may be coming when the clothes fall in the path of the front vent. There was air flunction in my older unit because I could feel it outside, but of course there was also a lower volume of air moving.

In any case most of my loads are cotton and nothing needs an iron to it so I am happy.

I do think that you are going to hear more noise from flex metal or plastic pipe that is not fastened tightly because the volumn of air will move it. Also if your vent pipe is not following the diameter specified in the installation instructions you are going to have more of a problem.

So far so good with this dryer. My next load will be items with a silk blend. I will wait a month or two and see what I think then.

• crooks101
    16 years ago

I am finding the noise and resulting vent output to be load dependent. Almost no undue vent noise (other than at lot of air moving noise) with light-mid loads. Mid-heavy I get a very uneven sound- some strange venturi effect. The mid-heavy loads seem to make the air flow uneven apparently by blocking the internal output vent in dryer or something. My unit's sound is like a furnace/water heater vent pipe with strong winds when loaded. The sound is very similar- a uneven popping like sound. If you vent to the room with no pipe and have load, the noise is even louder. But if you put your hand over the vent and generate back pressure, the noise stops. And on reverse, it is very quite, with its lower air output, as I would expect.

The ridge pipe issue seems to be just a sound baffle work around. I have wrapped my vent with duct tape for addition sound insulation and it helped very much. I have also considered putting in a restrictor to generate back pressure. My vent is straight up, so I don't think I have much back pressure in my system.

jerrod6,

I have temporary put aside the country of manufacture. If I can not get the noise down, the country is not an issue. And I have 30 days to file a CC complaint and possible FTC label compliance issue for resolution. Miele is not making any comments about FTC label issue or any resolution per my email.

But I will say it was Miele that made the point "made in Germany" page 13- not me. If if was not important, they should have left it out. One might question the point of making a sales pitch in their own brochure. They raised the point. I am only question their false advertising and FTC compliance issues.

Why don't you ask them what they see in "Made in Germany" as important instead of me. It is in other Mile sales brochure, so this is not new marketing. They set the expectation of one county better than another. I just ask/demand they meet their claims. Fair?

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't think I asked you that question. My previous post listed the questions I asked myself after not being able to see where my dryer was made and reading here that the dryer was not made in Germany.

• tamara_2007
    16 years ago

The T9800 and W4840 were delivered today and I was expecting both units would be much more quiet. The W4840 is quieter than my previous washer, but I am trying to learn the settings and how much HE detergent to use, so it will take a few loads of wash.

The real issue is with the dryer, it is really really loud. I started my first and only load of laundry, which consisted of T shirts, when I placed the load in the T9800, I heard the swishing noise, which I agree is the air flow, I am using the metal flex venting and I will get used to the noise, but there is also a very loud banging noise. I do not know exactly how to describe it but it sounds like a very high pitch banging sound mixed with the sound of an engine of a small air craft. It was so loud after 5 minutes into the cycle, I stopped it and hung my clothes up to dry, believing I received a damaged unit.

After reading this site it appears there are others that have experienced noises besides the extremely efficient air flow sounds. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced a similar sound, as I have described? Or if your dryer is quiet except for the swooshing air sound from the vent? I was going to call the dealer where I purchased the dryer and request a replacement or service on my damaged product, but it may be normal dryer noise. I will be very disappointed in the Miele products if this is the best performance from this dryer.

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

I was made in the Czech Republic, so obviously the quality is top notch! :)

Actually, a lot of items are made in the Czech Republic now because it is more cost effective. I can assure you, having an extended Czech family and been there many time, quality is a VERY HIGH priority for them.

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sshrivastava - made in the Czehc Republic huh? See I always knew there was that certain somthing about you :)

My dryer does not make any noise other than the sound of a lot of air. If you step outside there is a ton more air coming out of the vent.

Please do read my post where I talked about the length of flex pipe I have connected to the rigid. Even though the flex in inbetween rigid this pipe bounces around when the dryer is running. So if you have flex and all of it is not secured to a wall or other stable object ..you might be getting part of the pipe hitting against something

• crooks101
    16 years ago

On my unit, I don't hear any "banging" noise other then the sound of the interrupted airflow by having clothes in the dryer (apparently sometime they partially block the vent in drum). When this happens, the sound is quite loud/sharp/popping - almost like a rattle sound. In fact, I first thought it was a rattle.

When no clothes are in dryer the air sound is still quite loud, but the mechanical drum sounds are pretty normal.

Try putting your hand over the output air vent for a few seconds to block it, it should let you hear the mechanical sounds of drum. Or listen to the reverse turn, the airflow is much less and you should be able to hear the drum/motor rollers better . For my sample, it almost sounds like a typical high-end Whirlpool dryer.

Just that darn air movement.

• jerrod6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah the air is there, but after having it for 3 weeks and 30+ loads. I don't notice it any more. I do notice few wrinkles in the items and everything coming out great.

Do check the vent pipe especially if it is flex just to make sure all of it is secured to a wall or something that holds it tight...otherwise it is gonna MOVE.

• crooks101
    16 years ago

I use solid ducting and wrapped it externally with several layers of duck tape for sound insulation. It helped considerably and takes the edge off the spikes and helps lower the overall air sound over the bare metal.

BTW, the flex vent just adds to problem, the machine is just noisy. The flex vent problem is the massive changes in air volume by the reverse turn and/or clothes blocking the air movement for a split second. It could cause mechanical movement of the flex hose and just add to rattles/noise- kind of like a balloon.

Try this experiment, run dryer without any ducts attached- both with/without any clothes in dryer. You will only hear more louder noise, not less. Clothes just cause uneven air output, which causes the noise to vary. Or even more down to earth, blow air from your lips (but don't whistle). Now move you finger near you lips quickly while blowing. You should notice a lot more noise. I think something similar is happening when I add clothes.

The good trade off is faster drying. I have been using my older Bosch 15amp dryer, while adjusting W4800 washer. I thought it dried fast. But it is like molasses compared to the T9800. So the T9800 is noisy, but it doesn't run very long and it is apparently true 30 amps. Massive air movement keeps temps relatively low.

• gnarly
    16 years ago

Just to let you all know, I was contacted by Miele who are making follow-up phone calls to their washer/dryer purchasers to check everything is OK.

They have a "simple fix" for the dryer noise, which consists of a new part you have to fit yourself. It sounds rather unlikely but I figured it was worth giving it a shot. A few days later a new lint filter arrived which looked very similar to the old one, but on closer inspection there is a row of extra holes.

This new lint filter does make all the difference, because the new row of holes are close to the glass door, and don't get obstructed by clothes tumbling. Result - much more even airflow and more constant noise.

So - for anyone who has a noisy dryer, do get in touch with Miele and request the lint filter with extra holes along the top edge.