SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schmidt_gw

Please help, buying a Trane heat pump

Schmidt
15 years ago

My air went out over the weekend. I found out today it's a leak in the coil, so that has to come out.

I could replace just the coil for about $1,300. But I've been playing with the idea of replacing my A/C with a heat pump, and pairing it with my gas furnace to have a dual-fuel system. I got pricing on a Trane XL14i today for $5,300, including the 2-stage thermostat necessary to switch over from heat pump to gas when the outdoor temp drops too low. They also said they would change the line set "if necessary."

So I have a few questions for this group, if you don't mind:

1) Does $5,300 seem like a reasonable price (for Louisville, KY market)?

2) Do I need a new line set? This would be a 401a system. They're telling me they can sometimes clear the existing lines with nitrogen. Is that sufficient, or should I insist they change the lines? If they do, they'll have to run quite a few feet down the side of my house. Is that a problem?

3) Any concerns about replacing a 3 ton unit with a 4-ton unit? The compressor is a Goodman 100-4, so the air blower has the capacity, as does the ductwork. The salesman did a load calc and says I need 43,000 BTU. He said a 3.5 ton would be sufficient for the cooling, but I would need 4 ton for the heating part. Does that sound right?

4) Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (12)