SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanzinnc

Heat Pump Ductwork/Trane XR14

susanzinnc
16 years ago

I have received estimates from 5 HVAC companies. The contractor that I liked the most came in with a quote significantly higher than most of the others--however, he seemed more thorough. Background: We have plaster ceilings and need all ductwork put in in the attic. It's a one-floor ranch. About 12 supplies and 2 returns.

The proposal is for either a Trane XR14 or XL14i heat pump (with a Trane variable speed air handler). The contractor will build a plate from in attic to install aux-drain pan with air handler over a drain pan. Duct made of metal trunk duct with exterior wrap insulation and flex drops. Duct seams sealed with mastic for maximum efficiency.

Questions:

(1) Is the XL14i really preferable over the XR14? It is more expensive.

(2) Are metal trunk ducts necessary? Are they much more preferable than rigid fiberglass?

(3) Is it important to have the ducts sealed with mastic?

(4) A competing proposal includes a "spider" set up. The proposal we are considering is for ductwork that limits the length of the flexible branch ducts.

The proposal comes in around $14,000+. According to the contractor, the items above push the cost up (especially (2), (3) and (4)).

Comments please. Your help is appreciated.

Comments (2)