SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevefox_gw

Update :Dust / lumber smell coming out of air ducts

16 years ago

Hello everybody,

I want to thank everybody who answered my previous post. As you might recall, I had a dust/lumber smell coming out of my air conditioning ducts whenever it turned on. I called in a friend to come and check it out and when we went up into the attic, we noticed that when the air turned on, a lot of air was going up into the attic from around the vents. Apparently the problem was that they hadn't sealed the area between the ducts and each of the vents that cool the house; we could even see some light coming through. He told me that it should've been taken care of when the house was built because it should pass inspection.

My question is: if the city should've made this inspection, and it wasn't done, would I have a grievance against the city. I mean, could the quality of the air that was coming into the house have any harmful health effects such as causing allergies or miscarriages?

Also, I have asked around as to whose responsibility it should've been to seal this area and some people have told me that the air conditioning guy should've done it and others have told me that it's the painter's responsibility.

If anybody knows the answer to these questions or has any suggestions, I would greatly appreaciate your response.

Thank you, and have a great day!

SteveFox

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus