SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artgecko_gw

Suggestions on packaged heat pumps, please?

artgecko
9 years ago

Hi gang,

I've been Googling to find information on packaged heat pumps, and found several helpful posts here on GardenWeb. But I could find very little information about packaged units, so I decided to join and ask a question.

My old Trane 3 ton 10 SEER all electric packaged heat pump failed for the final time this weekend, and I'm shopping for a replacement. Four local companies have come out, done load calculations, and submitted proposals.

I realize that the quality of the installation and competence of the installer is as, if not more, important than the brand. But all things being equal, I'd like to know how the pros would rank the following models. All are 3 ton w/10 kW supplemental heat strips.

Amana APH15M 14.5 SEER 12 EER 8.0 HSPF
Carrier 50VR 15.5 SEER 12 EER 8.5 HSPF
Am Std Gold XM 14.25 SEER ? EER 8.0 HSPF
Trane XL-16c 16.4 SEER 13.4 EER 9.0 HSPF
Rheem RQPL 14.0 SEER 12.0 EER 8.0 HSPF

Old Trane was 10.0 SEER, 9.5 EER, 6.8 HSPF

With factory rebates, electric company rebates, and tax breaks, the Trane, Am Std, Amana, and Carrier are closely priced, with the Rheem about $1000 less.

All have similar warranties (10/10/1) other than Amana which has a lifetime compressor warranty.

My current 10 SEER kept up with the cooling most of the time, but needed to have the heat strips on a lot to try to keep up in winter, and in real cold spells never hit the set point, even with the heat strips.

So I'm leaning toward the higher HSPF units to help out in winter.

My current Trane has a defrost cycle, but I haven't found specs to indicate if that's something still on any current models.

Thoughts on which brands/models to steer away from or lean toward? I realize everyone has horror stories on almost any brand, but overall, suggestions on which to choose?

Thanks so much!
Steve

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022