SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunshinefc3s

Heat Pump Selection Help please

sunshineFC3s
13 years ago

Hello,

I have been diligently searching this forum for the past week in an attempt to educate myself, and have a few follow-up questions regarding the selection of a good HP for my townhouse.

-Primary residence located in CT (very humid in summer, and gets down to teens in winter).

- 1200 sq ft. two story, and unfinished basement.

-Current HP system: Trane circa 1985, 2 ton unit (assume its contractor grade)

-Air handler in the basement, and HP on the outside of same wall (short line run).

-100amp service only. Cannot ungrade, and panel is almost full.

-I will live here for 2-3 more years, and then keep as rental property.

-Looking for at a 15 Seer range for Federal and Utility credit.

I understand that the install is more important that the brand, but I am trying to narrow down to a feature set that is approproate for my location and home type.

As far as I understand, these are the features that are a must:

- Variable Speed blower

- Electric demand defrost

- thermal expansion valve

- scroll compressor

I have read on here that for a small condo/townhome - a two stage HP is overkill. Is this true?

How about a staged backup strip? And what side strip should I look for? Also, upgrading from a single stage to a two stage...does this require additional electical work?

A have received a few quotes thus far, but I don't have any model numbers (I requested them and am waiting for replys). So far I have been offered Trane XPs, Bryant Evolution, Rheem, Goodman, and Heil DXT. Prices range from $5,000 - 8,600 installed.

Im car terms, Im looking for a solid Honda/Toyota. I dont need the Mercedes of heat pumps. I'm told by one of the contractors that anything two-stage is more like a Mercedes.

Any input wound be appreciated.

-a

Comments (19)