SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
declansmom_gw

Forced Retirement

declansmom
16 years ago

Hi everyone.....I am new to this particular forum, and I just wanted some thoughts you all might have. My husband's company is closing after he has worked there for 20 years. He is only 56, but we live in a very expensive area, so we are thinking that we might have to move. The question I have trouble with is this...even if he can get another job, we know he will not make as much and our taxes here are astronomical, so our first thought is to sell our house, buy one for cash in Cape Cod, Massachusetts (where we had planned to retire anyway) and both look for jobs to just get by with our monthly bills since we won't have a mortgage.

I am so torn about this because I have worked for my brother for the past 12 years, all my family and friends are here, and even though I know it would be better for us financially, I am having a hard time deciding what to do.

I guess I was curious to see if any one of you has gone through something similar and how it turned out. Thanks for listening to me. I am truly beside myself on this one.

Comments (14)