SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rednellie

Frozen Credit Card in Florida

redbazel
12 years ago

I've been thinking about this all weekend and decided to post in case someone else ends up in this scenario.

I just spent the last week in Florida, driving up to Georgia to see my mom. Thurs night we (my sister and I) got back down to Orlando and went to dinner near our hotel by the airport. Check came and my Visa card was Declined. I wondered if I had mistakenly used it for the rental car earlier so pulled out my ATM card. Also declined. Well, now I'm concerned wondering if both (both are the same Credit Union) were "warm-carded" for out of state use or if there has been a real incursion to my accounts. My sister paid and we went to the car to call. It's 8:30 Orlando time, so I got the call in to California Credit Union just moments before they closed. Told the rep what happened. He said probably just because of "a lot of fraud right now in Florida and Texas". He told me I could go to an atm and use the debit card with my pin #. Well, the rental car place won't take cash and I don't plan to use cash at the Hotel, so I asked him if he had any other ideas for me. He didn't. By this time, I'm good & mad because he said they could NOT unfreeze either card till Sunday when I'm back in California!! I ask for supervisor.

Long story short, the supervisor realized she had a woman whose head was about to implode and told me she would call the IT dept and try to get them to unfreeze at least one card. I think I was yelling a little on the phone. I hope not. I did thank her and explained that the other rep didn't even suggest a supervisor for my issue. I do have another credit card I could have used, but my thinking was, that's not their business. She said they had already had a number of calls from members in a similar fix in Florida. Evidently the fraud thing there was so bad it caused this type of bank response. Although she came back on the line and assured me the IT dept had released the Visa, It took an hour to get my credit card working and in the meantime, I was declined again when trying to pay for 2 nights at the hotel. My blood pressure almost didn't make it.

I just wanted to alert those traveling. If your card is declined, call your bank immediately. Or try the debit feature with PIN # if the credit function doesn't work. Make sure you ask for someone who can escalate for you. I was concerned about families who might be trying to buy gas, rent a car for Disneyworld, check into hotels, etc., who wouldn't know what to do and who would have been shut out by the first unhelpful reply even if they called. And not everyone carries a backup card. It's always a good idea to have something from a different bank with you, just in case.

Red

Comments (20)