SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yam2006_gw

Air return through vented doors

yam2006
16 years ago

My AC return is inside my home theater room. The home theater room has a vented bifold door connecting to the entryway, which opens to a few other rooms through open doorways, ending in a kitchen which connects to the home theater room through a solid bifold door. So there are two doors to the movie room, each connecting to the opposite ends of a loop of rooms with no other doors to block the air. The theater/entryway door is vented, and the theater/kitchen door is solid.

Should both doors be vented? I think there are two issues. First, how much vented doorway area does it take to feed my 2.5 ton AC unit. The vented doorway has slats with thin gaps between them so IÂm sure it is much more restrictive than the stamped metal return grill. Second, would my AC operate more efficiently if it had two return paths (ie air flows through the loop of rooms in either direction) rather than just one path (ie, air blown into the kitchen has to go all the way around the house for its return path).

The movie room was originally a formal dining room, with an open doorway to the entryway (this is where I installed a vented bifold door). The solid bifold door to the kitchen was already installed sometime before I purchased the house.

Comment (1)