SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_230120179

Air coming inside the house through vents

John Martins
4 years ago

Hello,

We have a two story house. Each story has its own system (HVAC, compressor, thermostat, etc.). In addition, the second story has a fresh-air system. However, the fresh-air system has been turned off for many years now.

Our problem is that there is air coming from outside through some vents on the first story when the AC system is completely shut down. Not all vents experience the problem and we can tell that it is air from the outside because it gets cold in winter / hot in the summer and there is a higher flow of air when it is windy outside. Also, the vents that seem to let the air go in seem to be the ones closest to the AC system inside the house. Everything works ok on the second story.

Many AC technicians have told me that it could be a loose duct in the attic that is letting air come through the vents. Therefore I had someone go up there and check the connections. No leaks or disconnections were found. Other technicians have told me that it could be the fresh-air system. However, the fresh-air system is completely off and it is connected to the second floor, not the first floor.

I can only think of two possible causes:

1) There is a duct either within the wall or within the ceiling of the first floor that is broken and unfortunately is not accessible to review. I hope that this is not the problem since I understand that it would be very hard and expensive to fix.

2) Somehow the fresh-air system may have a valve that it is broken and it is letting air coming in. Even though the system is off and it is connected to the second floor, maybe there is a way for air to still come in and go to the first floor.

Please can you give me your thoughts and provide any other possible causes? My family and I would really appreciate all your help.

Comment (1)