SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

Frangollo - Canary Island Corn Pudding

canarybird01
14 years ago

Today was Dia de Canarias, Canary Islands Day...the day in which the Canary Islands (all 7 of them) celebrate their heritage and their culture.

One tradition is to make displays of local food, wine and produce and to pass around samples at food outlets.

So this morning I went to a nearby supermarket to have a breakfast from samples of chorizo on crusty baguette and all the tasty bits offered. One good dish was the simple frangollo, a sweet pudding made with cornmeal, sugar, lemon, cinnamon and milk or water. It was so good that I when I got home I checked out several recipes. Here is the most common way to make it. Photos of some of the foods there and the girls in their costumes are here on my Tenerife Journal blog.

Serving Frangollo

FRANGOLLO - Canary Island Corn Pudding

Frangollo is a typical dessert from the Canary Islands which has many variations, sometimes made with milk, other times with water.

Here is one recipe:

1 quart milk or water

1/2 lb coarse sweet corn (maize) flour -- (approx 225 grams)

grated lemon rind

piece of lemon peel

a few almonds -- peeled & ground or chopped finely

1 handful raisins

2 Tablespoons sugar -- more or less to taste

1 teasp cinnamon & more for sprinkling over top

Put the milk (or water) in a pot on the stove together with the piece of lemon peel and a pinch of salt.

When it boils, remove the lemon peel and add the corn flour, sugar, raisins, cinnamon, ground almond and grated lemon rind.

Stir constantly and cook until the mix separates from the sides of the pot.

Pour into a deep glass dish and allow to cool.

Sprinkle with ground cinnamon, raisins and if desired, a little syrup or honey.

Serve cold or at room temperature.

SharonCb

Comments (8)