SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wishiwasinoz

I am a slob in the kitchen - wood floors?

wishiwasinoz
11 years ago

Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

When I cook, the kitchen looks like WWIII - I am not talking about dinner every night, but cooking for the masses for something like a Christmas dinner or something that is involved, like a dinner party. Food & liquids invariably end up on the floor & everywhere. I have always had tile floors in the kitchen, so it has not been an issue when I do a big clean up after cooking. In the new house, we are doing wood for most of the downstairs flooring. We have an open floor plan, so I am having difficulty with flooring for the kitchen, which is adjacent to the family room. DH thinks only wood will look good, but he know how bad I am in the kitchen. I think the kitchen wood floors will look hideous in no time with my track record.

I'm attaching our layout, as well as a link to a look I like (maybe slightly lighter floors - but not slate, same issues with upkeep).

Any thoughts or ideas how to mesh the flooring of these two areas together? Note, the green line is one I added, where I think the division would be. Also, we are doing a wide plank white oak with a light finish for the wood floors (greyish-brown color).

Here is a link that might be useful: Hex inset around perimeter with darker tile

Comments (25)