SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coseyl

Refinishing vs new cabinets and other kitchen dilemias!

coseyl
10 years ago

Hi All,

We are set to close on a big dinosaur of a house. I posted a few kitchen pics a few months ago.......I'll see if I can repost. The house is 4800sq/feet, built in 1980 and has never been updated ~ all original carpet and tile. The only thing new is the roof!

Anyway, the kitchen needs to be redone- all the appliances are original. Before we move in we are ripping out the tile in the foyer, carpet in the halls and my son's bedroom (he has bad allergies) and taking out the carpet (yikes) in 3 bathrooms to place tile and also tiling the laundry room. I will need about a year before I can think about the kitchen.
There is plenty of other things that need to be done but we have to pace ourselves.

Anyway, the kitchen is large (I don't have dimensions) and it has the dreaded cook top on the island. We had a contractor and a flooring guy over yesterday to look at a few things. They both said that I was crazy to rip out the cabinets........they both agreed that the cabinets, although dated in color, are of a quality that would be very difficult and expensive to replace.

The kitchen is built on a slab and it has multiple entry points making expensive to move things around and difficult to envision how to change things.

The kitchen cabinets are a med brown with a yellow to them. If we keep them and have them refinished we would go dark, influencing our wood floor choices......and we need to pick our wood color now~ since we are having the hallway/bedroom carpet removed before we move in.

If we rip out the cabinets and start fresh.......he have a much more expensive reno.......and we could choose any wood color now.......and eventually pick cabinets that would look good with the flooring choice.

So my questions are:

How important is getting a stove off the island......it is a huge island (if that makes any difference)

The cabinets really are in good shape, really good shape......can I justify the expense of ripping them out, especially when there are so many things that need to be updated in the house.

Should I just pick a wood color that goes with a dark brown cabinet (even though I really want a reddish color) and decide later what to do with the kitchen?

I have included a not to scale drawing of the floor plan ~ full disclosure......I am no artist! But I would love to hear ideas on how things might be changed around to get the cooktop off of the island....... I don't care if it is a range or cook top with wall oven.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments (15)