SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

air sealing attic...move plywood?

cindywhitall
11 years ago

(new thread..not part of original decision making topic)

I am going to have my attic air sealed where they will seal all the penetrations to the attic. About 1/4 of the attic has plywood down so we can store stuff. Of course part of it is around the opening where we won't be removing it, which unfortunately is where a few walls meet the attic.

I have been throwing away stuff and plan to move some stuff down while they are working. Is it worth it to do the extra effort (and SWEAT!) to unscrew some planks so they can airseal under them? Hubby doesn't think it's worth it, but I've arranged it so he can do two of them easily.

He thinks we are just as well off just sealing the seams where the plywood (osb) butts each other and not doing under it.

I would have him basically just unscrew the boards but not move them. (I could do it, but what if I do it "wrong"!) Since they will be adding insulation in the parts not used for storage I want to leave them down so they can see where they go. If we move them then they won't know where to blow the insulation. Hopefully they will be willing to lift them and seal under them.

It only came up in one conversation, but they said they would build a little wall (6-8") around the edge of the plywood for the blown insulation.

Would this be better in the home repair forum?

Hopefully you all understand what I mean. I guess the main thing is whether it is good just to seal between the plywood or move it, keeping in mind the extra work to move it. There is batt insulation under it from when the house was built in 1996. It was supposed to r-30 ....

Thanks

Comments (6)