SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

Any CSA members?

rivkadr
15 years ago

My husband and I are thinking of joining a local CSA, and are curious as to what other people's experiences have been. For those not familiar with it, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture -- generally you purchase a subscription to a local farm (usually quarterly), and they give you a box of produce. Most of the farms that do it are organic, and have a wide range of vegetables and fruit.

Since I'm in Southern California, the availability of produce throughout the year is pretty good. My husband and I are interested in getting away from as much processed food as possible, and trying to cook for ourselves...and we're vegetarian. So fresh veggies are a pretty big deal for us, and something we're trying to get more of.

My biggest concern is not actually using up the veggies that they give you -- since you have no control over what is given to you, you sort of have to wing it. And since we don't really know how to cook, we're going to have to really find our way with a lot of these veggies. My plan is to start with the smallest available box with our local CSA (it's actually an individual-size box), see how we do with that, and go from there.

If you get stuff from a CSA, can you tell me about your experience? Any tips or advice?

Here is a link that might be useful: Search for Local CSAs

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!