SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

OMG...I'm shaking right now

neetsiepie
12 years ago

My SIL called me hysterical...my brother, who was recently diagnosed as Bipolar II is acting suicidal and has made threats to someone that he's going to kill another person. I told SIL to call 9-1-1 immediately and she said she would.

I doubted it, so I looked up the phone number for the local police where they live, and explained to the dispatcher what I knew. That person basically told me they "can't operate on what if's and maybe's". I had all the information I could give, that this was a potentially lethal domestic dispute with one of the people who is mentally ill. I was told that the dispatcher had someone else on hold and 'maybe that was her' (my SIL). So that police dept won't do a thing.

So I called SIL back, she's now at this other persons house, where my brother is headed. She has not, and will not call the police, primarily because one of the players is on probation (not my brother), and she'd handle it. She'd talked to my brother and he was sweet as pie she said.

I freaked out and yelled at her to CALL 911!! DO NOT CONFRONT HIM...get out and call the police! She said "I gotta go" and hung up. I am 250 miles away! So I looked up the information on the house where they're at, and I called the Sheriffs office there. Fortunately they were dispatching two units as we were on the phone.

I am shaking, DH and I agree that my SIL and probably my brother, too, will be angry with me, but I can't care about that. I yelled at SIL that there was a good chance he'd kill her then kill himself, but she's refusing to get help. I am waiting for the police to call me....funny, I JUST had a call from the first police Dept that they were trying to reach SIL but she won't answer the phone...at least they finally did take my concern seriously.

I am praying that this outcome is good. I want my brother to get the medical help he needs, and I want this nightmare that has been going on for several years (with the other people involved) to stop. I had to step in...I've already lost family to domestic violence....I can't afford to lose my brother or his wife.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida